Sunday, February 25, 2007

Outlaws with cigarettes.


Well remember what we learned about supply and demand and black markets. Here is a prime example. What I find ironic is that anyone would expect criminals to do anything other than create a black market.

44 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand how prisoners get the money to buy cigarettes/tobacco. I doubt they are allowed to carry a wallet.

Amy W. (5th)

Anonymous said...

Im with Amy, I've always wondered how they get the ciggarettes and where they are pullin this money out of to pay for them, excpecially 125. When it said " everyone and there momma smoke", that seems pretty legit for prison, because if you never smoked before you probably would start in prison, I would start smoking if I had a life sentence, that way it would make my sentence shorter.

Taylor K. (2)

Anonymous said...

I don't see why smoking in prison was banned in the first place..that's basically just asking for a black market.
katie h. 2nd

Anonymous said...

I don't see why smoking in prison was banned in the first place..that's basically just asking for a black market.
katie h. 2nd

Anonymous said...

Black marketers probably sneak cigarettes into prisons anally.
maybe not...but if they do would it be worth $125?

Justin Havins 5th

Anonymous said...

When lifers get emphazema we (the taxpayers) have to pay for the medical treatment.

McKay

Anonymous said...

I say we let the inmates smoke and let them kill themselves if they are idiotic enough to do so. Many regulare people smoke, and the government is not doing anything to stop them from doing it, so why are we caring about murderers, thieves, and rapists?

William Brooks-2nd

Anonymous said...

i think like any bad habbit, ur gona find a way to keep it up. especially addicting habits like smoking, if the craving isnt satisied then ul pay as much as it takes to get it.

raelynn s 5th

Anonymous said...

The inmates don't carry the money, I think they arrange for their relatives, friends outside of prison, etc. to get the money from their house, bank or what have you to pay whoever is supplying the tobacco. Regardless, some people just gotta have a smoke to satisfy their cravings. This reminds me of the Prohibition era in American history, only with smokes, not liquor. You can try to ban a substance or make it illegal, but people will still sell and use it. For example, marijuana is illegal to possess and whatnot, but people still grow it and smoke it. I like having my lungs; I still think it's a bad habit.

Kim I. 5th

Anonymous said...

i have to agree with kim i think they arrange for it but then they have ways of sneaking it in by doing all kinds of dirty deeds but who knows... i might talk to a friend of mine whose a prison guard and get his take on that and see wat he says bout it.

Logan F. 2nd

Anonymous said...

I believe that the California Prison System needs to pick its battles. You'd think that they'd be more concerned with Oxycontin than with Marlboro. I bet it's impossible to keep tobacco out of prison, because it's legal on the streets, so I really don't see why California has made that a point of contention. Even with perscription drugs (Oxycontin, Zoloft), an inmate would need to show a perscription to legally have such material. California's wasting alot of money and time and effort trying to stop a problem that they have created themselves.

Thomas D. 2nd

Anonymous said...

Why are California state prisons concerned with not letting inmates smoke tabacco? Honestly, there are better things to keep a handle on and more severe problems in the correctional facilities. Also, without severe enough punishments for guards smuggling in contraband, there is no incentive to stop smuggling in tabacco. I think Texas has it right, by punishing guards enough for smuggling in contraband. California is all screwed up; Texas is by far a much better state. Better BBQ too.

Ethan H. 5th

Anonymous said...

If cigarettes are not illegal outside of prison, they should not be illegal in prison. Maybe the government should come up with a better idea like limiting how many cigarettes you can buy within a time period.
Jordan L/5

Anonymous said...

No offense to any potential prison cooks out there...but it doesn't surprise me that a person that would apply for a job as a prison cook would be the same guy that is smuggling in cigs for money. On the other hand, with such a crappy job he was probobly just looking to make a buck. Especially since it paid better than his real job. He probobly thought "what the heck, im here i might as well brings some cigs to make some money."

Anonymous said...

Brandon H. ^^^^^^
5th Period

Anonymous said...

I cant belive people were paying about $125 for a cigarette! It just proves that the seller can set the price at whatever the consumer will buy.
Caitlan G.-5th

Anonymous said...

I have decided to become a cigarette smuggler.

Matt W 5th

Anonymous said...

I think its crazy California is so obsessed with the notion that imates should not smoke tobacco. I'd be more worried about drugs, and inmates looking for cladestine ways to escape.
MelanieK02

Anonymous said...

Banning cigarettes in prison is stupid; its just going to cause chaos in the prisons because the prisoners won't have anything to bet with; their would be no source of trade for them and will only cause struggle.

Jeremy Green 5th period

Anonymous said...

The article suggests that it will help to add stronger penalties for tobacco smuggling. But won't that just make the price for cigarettes go up, as it will be more dangerous for the smuggler to get the cigarettes in and thus supply will drop? I think that tobacco products should be allowed in the prisons...perhaps only at certain times of the week, but still legal so that there won't be this heinous black market that is corrupting the inmates in the California jails.

Michael K 2nd

Anonymous said...

i dont think banning cigarettes was a very good idea. it is just makin an excuse to have a black market. there should be more important things to worry about than if inmates smoke or not.

Nathan O. (1)

Anonymous said...

Prohibition version 2.0; Further testament to how ineffective it is to ban things that people get addicted to.

Marcus Blackwell 5th

Anonymous said...

If they want to smoke, let em' smoke. Most of their lives are screwed up anyway. Banning tobacco just creates more problems.

-Amy S. 2nd

Anonymous said...

i think cigs should be legal in jail

Anonymous said...

If prison inmates want to smoke and kill themselves faster let them do it, just dont make tax payers pay for their medical needs.

Rachel H 5th

Anonymous said...

I think tobacco should be allowed in prison, why not its just cigarettes and what not. Tax payers shuldnt pay for anything in the prison environment that deals with medical, let them die, well thats kind of harsh but its there fault if there sick and it being because of the tobacco. Just let them have cigarettes.

TiffanyJ 1st

Anonymous said...

I wonder which is a less productive working invironment; a room with alot of people smokeing, or a room where theres a riot and tear gas im not seeing the point
Peter G. 5th

Anonymous said...

If I had boobs I'd probably show them to people....but thats just me!

Schmyawww 12

Anonymous said...

if they want to smoke let them, just like everyone else said..there are more important things to be worried about in the jails.

Whitney A 5th

Anonymous said...

thats not fair. don't let them smoke. you can smoke and prison and u get better healthcare. it doesnt seem right.

Krystal W (2)

Anonymous said...

thats not fair. don't let them smoke. you can smoke and prison and u get better healthcare. it doesnt seem right.

Krystal W (2)

Anonymous said...

thats not fair. don't let them smoke. you can smoke and prison and u get better healthcare. it doesnt seem right.

Krystal W (2)

Anonymous said...

prisoners might as well get to keep smoking. guards can be worried about other things than looking for tobacco.



Adriana G 1st

Anonymous said...

When i think of the present day prisoner, I cant help but think of a bunch of bum criminals sitting around playing cards. But not over money or drugs, but for cigararettes. I personally think having tobacco with them is a great idea becuase it gives them motivation to strive. It sounds bad to say banning them is a dumb idea but probably for the best.

Sterling Swack (2nd)

Anonymous said...

I think even if they ban smokin in prisons it is just going to cause a huge riot and thousands of guards are gonna end up dead...I think california is just player hating

Jeff G. 5th

Anonymous said...

so...point of the matter...prison inmates are going to be a pain no matter what rules, regulations, or privileges, they are given. I suggest we just put them all on a ship and drop them off on a secluded island, put a big fence around them and let them work together and co-habilitate for their survival instead of using Tax Payers money to pay people to wipe them, serve them food and smuggle in tobacco for them.

josh r 2nd period

Anonymous said...

Well, I agree with Josh. Make a new reality show where you ship off prisoners to a secluded island and watch. All it's doing anyways is getting people fired, costing the taxpayers money, and there're no real consequences to smuggling tabacco in. It's ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

banning tobacco in prisons is like the martha stewart tv show...nobody really pays that much attention to it so just let it happen...it makes prisoners in movie bits look tougher

cameron K.
5th

Anonymous said...

Why should we care if prisoners can smoke. If anything we should encourage them to smoke so that we have to take care of them for less time.
Jeff Hernandez 2nd

Anonymous said...

How about a new topic....im tired of talking about cigarettes.

Justin H 5th

Anonymous said...

I agree with Havins.
Tobacco is wacco!

Matthew K W 5th

Anonymous said...

let them smoke, in the outside world they have a right to do whatever they want, granted most people dont like it and its unhealthy, but seriously if they want to smoke let them. if you ban something people want to do it more.

sam d. 5th

Anonymous said...

I think that its jail and they shouldn't be able to have the freedom to smoke. However, it doesn't supprise me that there is smuggling and illegal activities going on in prison.

Kinzie J. 5th

Anonymous said...

I think that since they are already in jail what more can happen if they smoke....nothing really, if u ban smoking it just makes them want to do it more and causes smuggling and illegal activities. If you just let them smoke none of that would be going on!

Amber P. 1st