
I often steal good blog articles from Freakonomics. Such as the following.
In Case You Think Police Officers Are Overpaid…
By Steven D. Levitt
I just finished Edward Conlon’s memoir Blue Blood, about a Harvard-educated writer who joins the NYPD. I found it highly enjoyable — and I’m not the only one who thought so.
Whenever Conlon addressed a topic that I know something about (like the economics of the war on drugs — see p. 170 of the book’s paperback version), his analysis was always right on the money — which gave me confidence in his accuracy when discussing issues I know nothing about.
Among his many interesting insights is the following, which takes place on p. 239: Conlon has been getting information from a homeless heroin addict named Charlie, regularly paying Charlie small sums of his own money in exchange for tips. Charlie has a homeless friend named Tommy. One day on the street, Conlon runs into Tommy, who tells him a location where crack sales occur. Conlon writes:
I handed Tommy some money, he held up his hands and said, “C’mon, Eddie, you don’t have to, it’s okay.” I said, “It’s all right, you guys work, you take risks for us, you should get paid.” He took the money, but he shook his head.
“Don’t take this the wrong way, but I feel a little funny, since you guys pay out of your own pockets. Do you know how much we make out here, panhandling, during rush hour?’
“No, how much?”
“About a dollar a minute.”
“Oh.”
I didn’t take my money back, but I saw his point. Charlie and Tommy made more money than us. I should have realized that earlier, as the math was not complicated — we took home less than a hundred dollars a day, while their habits were at least that. I tried not to dwell on the fact that, economically, a New York City police officer was a notch down from a bum.
By Steven D. Levitt
I just finished Edward Conlon’s memoir Blue Blood, about a Harvard-educated writer who joins the NYPD. I found it highly enjoyable — and I’m not the only one who thought so.
Whenever Conlon addressed a topic that I know something about (like the economics of the war on drugs — see p. 170 of the book’s paperback version), his analysis was always right on the money — which gave me confidence in his accuracy when discussing issues I know nothing about.
Among his many interesting insights is the following, which takes place on p. 239: Conlon has been getting information from a homeless heroin addict named Charlie, regularly paying Charlie small sums of his own money in exchange for tips. Charlie has a homeless friend named Tommy. One day on the street, Conlon runs into Tommy, who tells him a location where crack sales occur. Conlon writes:
I handed Tommy some money, he held up his hands and said, “C’mon, Eddie, you don’t have to, it’s okay.” I said, “It’s all right, you guys work, you take risks for us, you should get paid.” He took the money, but he shook his head.
“Don’t take this the wrong way, but I feel a little funny, since you guys pay out of your own pockets. Do you know how much we make out here, panhandling, during rush hour?’
“No, how much?”
“About a dollar a minute.”
“Oh.”
I didn’t take my money back, but I saw his point. Charlie and Tommy made more money than us. I should have realized that earlier, as the math was not complicated — we took home less than a hundred dollars a day, while their habits were at least that. I tried not to dwell on the fact that, economically, a New York City police officer was a notch down from a bum.
Whenever I feel bad about teacher pay I think of my friend who is a cop and remind myself that at least people don't shoot at me (usually).

35 comments:
Michael H. 1st period
You misspelled the word shoot in the very last line on the bottome...u said "shot"
you knew what he meant.
Madison G. 5th period
A dollar a minute? That's insane...ironic also. Two people on opposite ends of society and the bum is getting more compensation for his "work" than the police officer.
they get paid alot more but also have more risks to worry about like getting shot at or arrested
petra-5th
It's really sad that 'bums' get paid more than the people who are supposed to protect us. I guess you really have to have a special calling to be a police officer... and that's definitely not coming from the money.
Carrie C. 5th
it is kind of ironic how the people that are getting paid to protect us from people like that are getting paid less..hmmm...
Laura B 5th
Again it all goes back to the basic principle of risk and reward. In a way if you figure one should be rewarded for taking risks, just as doctors earn more but have a riskier job that could potentially involves someone's death, these drug dealers should also be rewarded with more money because they operate with incredible risk.
Jennifer S.-5th
You know, I considered being involved in a field of law enforcement but now I am discovering that I would receive many more rewards for being a drug dealer. Don't worry, I won't do the drugs, I will just sell them to the idiots who are too stupid to become drug dealers themselves. I guess drug dealers must stay somewhat sober to their surroundings because they don't need to be the one getting ripped off since they have families to go back to. On the flip-side, maybe this particular cop was so corrupt and karma was just catching up with him in the fact that someone that might not have been very educated makes more than he who faced many years of college and other education along with strenuous training.
there was a man named Frank Lucas. he once cleared a million dollars a day by being a heroin kingpin. he would smuggle the heroin in to the U.S. through caskets of dead American soilders form Vietnam.
there is a movie coming out about him called "American Gangster"
whoa, cops need to make more money. That's for sure.
shannon h 2nd.
A dollar a minute. My word. How can you tell when someone legitimately needs help and when they're just taking advantage of your conscience?
Oops, I didn't put my name on that...sorry. :-)
Lauren R. 5th
Emily H. 5th period
Its weird to think about people on the streets making more than a police officer. That is ironic because the police are protecting us from the people on the streets.
I think the cops should make more money, i mean, they are risking thier lives for us, while the bumbs on the street are just sitting there and asking for money while they dont have a job!!! :(
Maggie C. 5th period
It is unfortunate that law enforcement agencies struggle to collect donations for the families of officers who were injured or killed in the line of duty, while many people will readily hand over extra money to panhandlers on the street.
Betsy E. 2nd Period
It strikes me a interesting that we, as Americans insist on comparing our salaries with other Americans. This only leads to discouragement. If we would simply compare our $35,299 per year income with the incomes of the other 95% of the world's population, we would probably feel much better about ourselves.
Lindsay N. 1st period
Even though cops should get paid more than bums, it makes since to me that Conlon would pay Tommy for helping him find a drug deal because that helps make his job easier.
Tamara Wallace 5th period
I think that it is funny how most people feel superior to the people living on the street. We feel that it is our job to save them from the low life they lead when in reality they are better off than us. I will think twice before i feel bad for a bum again because they probably feel bad for me.
Jacob B. 1st period
This really opens up your eyes when you see "panhandlers" on the street. If they are truely in need then they wouldn't go to the same spot everyday and collect money. Theres quite a few places out there to help out the homeless, I just think many are lazy. This doesnt apply to everyone but usually they are on the street for a reason, and if they truely wanted help then they would have to have the drive to get it, instead of returning to the same spot collecting other people's cash.
I think the only way a highly educated person would be a police officer is if they have wanted to be one since their birth. I know it sounds bad but I never grew into the heroic thing, maybe one day...
Melissa C. 2nd
Do some of these 'bums' really need the money, or have some realized that they could get paid more than a police officer? Why bother getting a job when all you have to do is stand on the side of a street??
Eric R. 2nd
I guess my career choice is going to payoff after all. Who said you had to get a college degree to make good money?
First off, I have to point out that most teachers and policemen do not choose their respective professions for the money, but rather to help the local community and society in general. Therefore, it's not really fair to compare homeless peddlers and employees of the state/government. The latter benefits from the assurance they are helping others whether it's educating or protecting.
Also, the rate of $60 and hour is not valid. A quick calculation suggests that a peddler working from 9 to 5 and taking weekends off would earn over $115,000 a year. If this were the case, I would be on the street right now begging during the day, but returning to my apartment I leased with the money I saved from not paying income tax at night. Homeless people do not by any stretch of the imagination make six figures a year.
James M. 2nd
According to Freakonomics, incentives rule a persons decision making. If a "bum" made this much money, then people would choose this "profession". I guess teachers and cops have better job stability than a bum, otherwise there would be none,
Joe B. 5th
Even though it's ridiculous that a bum makes more money than a cop, I think that when you become a cop you’re not really thinking about the money. It’s more about the payoff in the long run.
i remember reading freakanomics junior year and being completely shocked when i read that drug dealing is one of the most profitable jobs in the US. but if you think about all the crap they have to go through i guess they deserve it. i guess some policemen are good guys that really do put their lives on the line to help against crime, but i have no sympathy for the other cops that sit around and do nothing. the movie "superbad" comes to mind.
Clare Pillers
2nd period
It's unfortunate that the people who are sitting in school for countless hours, will end up making less money than the people who skip. Maybe they aren't as stupid as we think.
Tarah Williams, 2nd period
Kayla H.
Taking an "economic perspective" from this, I would say the life of a homeless person does pay the dues, as the homeless person will never have the luxuries and home security that a police officer will have. Unless of course the hobo has a nice home and plays the part on a daily basis. There is something to be said about the shame one feels when succumbed to begging. There's always going to be someone milking the system- in this case the system is charity- but there's a genuine need to charity, too.
Most policemen are probably not in it for the money. They enjoy their job and enjoy the fact that they are the protectors of the people.
Ty Parker - 5.
there need to be a change at some point in that situation. Because at that rate New York wont have any police officer willing to take that job at that pay.
Matt S. 5th
i think most people get "real" jobs and work, not just for money, but for the satisfaction on knowing what they do makes a difference and contributes to society. So, though bums may make more, they might not have that self fulfillment others may have.(Though making a dollar an hour doesnt sound to bad, maybe colleges should offer panhandling courses)
Blake Whitmire 5th
i think if people are naive enough to give other people (who are perfectly capable of getting jobs)money. Then those begging deserve to make a dollar an hour.
Kaley Moore 5th
finally, we all know what to do with our lives.
drop out of school and beg for money... a lot of money.
if you're too proud to do that, then you'll probably end up making a decent and respectable living.
and this is why i sell crack.
Olivia M., 2
Well how about that. . . just goes to show that the old saying is wrong "crime never pays" well it would seem it does. . . Man forget college I'm going to hook up with my buddy from Jr. High and make a killing. . . just kidding. . .
Thomas C. 1
Post a Comment