Tuesday, September 25, 2007

What would you do if approached by a beggar?


You are walking down the street in New York City with $10 of disposable income in your pocket. You come to a corner with a hot dog vendor on one side and a beggar on the other. The beggar looks like he’s been drinking; the hot dog vendor looks like an upstanding citizen. How, if at all, do you distribute the $10 in your pocket, and why?

The answers of these famous folks is a perfect example of the motto on my door. Post what you'd do and why.

Arthur Brooks:

We face this situation all the time — both literally and figuratively. If you live in a city, you are frequently confronted by needy winos. Do you give to them, or not? In your heart, you fear that they will just ruin their lives further with your pocket change. But it feels hard-hearted not to give.

This dilemma goes beyond just how we treat the homeless. In our public policies, we see parts of the population which, we fear, might become dependent on the government “dole” if we provide that kind of help to people in need. Some even argue that whole nations can lose their self-sufficiency through foreign aid. This is why we have metaphors about giving fish versus teaching people to fish, and so forth.

Furthermore, some people worry a lot about the dignity of folks in need. For some, that means we should give them whatever they ask for. For others, it means charity is degrading and no good, and should be replaced totally by government programs. As the Inuits say, “Gifts make slaves, as whips make dogs.”

So how does all this help me figure out what to do as I approach the tipsy beggar and the upstanding hot dog vendor? I have to figure out whether I care about a) the desires and sovereignty of the beggar; and b) the impact and effectiveness of my gift to do good in the world. There are four possibilities, with four different associated actions:

1. I care about the beggar’s sovereignty, but not the impact of my gift. I give him some cash, which he will probably spend on booze. But hey, we all have free will, right? I didn’t force him to buy booze instead of food.

2. I care about the impact of my gift but not the beggar’s sovereignty. I buy him a hot dog — or better yet, I donate the money to a cause to help the homeless.

3. I care about both the beggar’s sovereignty and the impact of my gift. This is the toughest case, and usually involves the futile exercise of trying to convince the beggar to “get some help.” Imagine trying to have an intervention on the street.

4. I don’t care about either the beggar’s sovereignty or the impact of a gift. This is the easiest case of all. I buy myself a hot dog and ignore the wino. Put some kraut on that and give me a Diet Pepsi, too.

Which is my choice? I usually take number two, unless I’m feeling really lazy or I’m with somebody who knows I write books about charity — in which case I sometimes choose number one.

Tyler Cowen:

I’m not keen on giving the money to the beggar. In the long run, this only encourages more begging. If you imagine a beggar earning, say, $5,000 a year, over time would-be beggars would invest about $5,000 worth of time and energy into being beggars. The net gain is small, if indeed there is one. It is rumored that in Calcutta people cut off body parts to be more effective beggars; that is a polar example of this phenomenon. I explain this logic in more detail in my new book, Discover Your Inner Economist.

Oddly, the case for giving to the beggar may be stronger if he is an alcoholic. Alcoholism increases the chance that he is asking for the money randomly, rather than pursuing some well-calculated strategy of wastefully investing resources into begging. But in that case, I expect the gift will be squandered on booze, so I still don’t want to give him the money.

If I liked hot dogs, I would buy a hot dog from the vendor rather than giving him the money for free. At the end of the day, he’ll probably throw out food. He’s going to get the money in any case, so why waste a hot dog?

A third option, only implied in the question, is to simply rip up the money. This will make the currency of others worth proportionately more and spread the gains very broadly. Since many dollar bills are held by poor foreigners (most of all in Latin America), the gains would go to those who are able to save in terms of dollars. This would include many hard-working poor people, a group I regard as worthy recipients.

I have two worries about this option, however. First, drug dealers and other criminals hold lots of cash — why should I help them out? Second, the Federal Reserve might (if only in the probabilistic sense) reverse the effect of my actions by printing more currency.

The bottom line: Buy a hot dog.

The second bottom line: Don’t exercise your charity in New York City.

Mark Cuban:

I keep the money in my pocket and keep walking because I have no reason to just hand over money on a street corner.

Barbara Ehrenreich:

Could we first dispense with the smarmy connect-the-dots answer this question seems to cry out for? That is, that I’d use the $10 to buy a hot dog for the beggar and perhaps give the change to the vendor as a tip, thus rewarding a hardworking citizen while assuring that the shiftless beggar does not get the wherewithal for another drink — while of course giving me a nice little hit of middle class self-righteousness.

Although I’m atheist, I defer to Jesus on beggar-related matters. He said, if a man asks for your coat, give him your cloak too. (Actually, he said if a man “sue thee at the law” for the coat, but most beggars skip the legal process.) Jesus did not say: First, administer a breathalyzer test to the supplicant, or, first, sit him down for a pep talk on “focus” and “goal-setting.” He said: Give him the coat.

As a matter of religious observance, if a beggar importunes me directly, I must fork over some money. How do I know whether he’s been drinking or suffers from a neurological disorder anyway? Unless I’m his parole officer, what do I care? And before anyone virtuously offers him a hot dog, they should reflect on the possibility that the beggar is a vegetarian or only eats kosher or Hallal meat.

So if the beggar approaches me and puts out his hand, and if I only have a $10 bill, I have to give it to him. It’s none of my business whether he plans to spend it on infant formula for his starving baby or a pint of Thunderbird.

46 comments:

Anonymous said...

Derek Doss-2

This would be where morals interfere with economics, I think. Buy the man a hot dog, its the right thing to do all economics aside. Do not give him the money to further ruin his life. God would say give him the coat, but I personally believe he would enjoy seeing one of his children off the street.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca S. 5th

I would buy the buy the beggar a hot dog, thus supporting the upstanding vendor as well as the alcoholic beggar. If a person is hungry or destitute enought to be begging, I think they would accept a hot dog instead of holding out on a hope for a vegetarian or kosher meal. By giving the beggar food, Jesus' instructions are fulfilled without supporting the beggar's alcoholism.

Anonymous said...

I like hot dogs. But, the wino likes booze. I'm not on the street though. So, giving the man a hot dog helps the economy without being detrimental to the homeless man's health and well being. On a moral note, yes the hot dog won't get the man help but neither will money. Only the homeless man can get the homeless man help. With some help he can get on his own two feet. So, have him stand up to retrieve the hot dog from you. It is just a little step.
Leah B. 2nd

Anonymous said...

This is always a tough situation. Usually you have to distinquish between who is actually destitute and can't get a job no matter how hoard they try, and who is begging because it's easier than working. If you can't find out the answer to this question, the safest choice would be to buy the man food rather than just giving him money.

Whitley C. -1st

Anonymous said...

Thomas G. 1st

I'd use the money to buy a hot dog for myself. In my opinion, the beggar doesn't deserve money if he isn't going to work for it. And he'd probably use the money he's given to buy more alcohol. On the other hand, the hot dog vendor is working, and could provide me with something useful, food.

Anonymous said...

Justin N.- 2nd Period

I would buy the beggar a hotdog instead of giving him the money. It won't help him, but neither will giving him just money. If I gave the beggar money, he would just go buy alchohol. Giving him a hot dog at least feeds him which is better than nothing

Anonymous said...

First off I would start by buying the beggar a hotdog to ensure that he does not buy another drink. Then I would leave the rest of the money as a tip so that it doesn't look like I'm favoring the beggar over the upstanding citizen.

Michael Moffitt- 2nd

Anonymous said...

I would buy myself and the beggar a hotdog, and give the vendor the rest of the money for tips. That way, every body is happy :] <--like so. unless of course there was a better use of the 10 dollars, but i believe feeding the poor is a good use of money. as far as economics go, the man should have been responsible with his money, and not become a drunk, so really he doesn't deserve the money since he's the one who got himself there in the first place. but moralisticly(if thats a word), i would try and help him out, and after buying the hot dogs, i would try to talk to the homeless drunk man and encourage him to get a job to stay off the streets.

Gina Palombit (2)

Anonymous said...

tyler l. 5

i would by the beggar a hot dog and find the man a place to shower. he gets fed and the streets don't smell as bad.

Anonymous said...

The right thing to do is probably buy the homeless guy a hot dog. That way you wouldn't be giving him money with which he could buy alcohol, while still giving him something. However, in most instances I wouldn't spend my time or money on such a person.

Ty P. 5th

Anonymous said...

I would just buy the homeless man some food, or something of that nature that he really needs. Not just give him 10 dollars to blow on alcohol or cigarettes that wont help him at all in the long run.

Shannon H. 2nd

Anonymous said...

I would probably offer the man food or something that would help him out versus just handing him the cash because then you can tell whether he really needs it or not while doing the right thing.

Bethany R. 2nd

Anonymous said...

J.B. M- 2nd

I would buy the beggar a hot dog to help the upstanding citizen and to help the beggar without giving him booze money.

Anonymous said...

I would buy the beggar a hot dog on the greater chance that he is not a vegetarian. If he's pumping the alcohol, he probably doesn't care too much what goes in and out of his body. Anyway, it's a way to give without hurting him.
Lauren R. 5th

Anonymous said...

I should probably buy him a hot dog, but in reality I'd probably either give him the money or keep it. I’m not really sure what I would actually do though.

Joe B. 5th

Davis Wilkinson - 2nd said...

I've always been taught to follow number two. Ask the beggar what he physically wants and do your best to provide that material to him (if it's not a harmful substance).

Anonymous said...

Well frankly, after having been to new york city last summer, I would choose the hot dog vendor; simply because it's ridiculous at how much the 'beggars' make by doing absolutely nothing. I remember specifically once seeing a beggar one day outside a little restraunt, and then the next day seeing the same so called 'beggar' in an upscale boutique. I mean, I know there are quite a few that truly are beggars, but I personally would choose not to contribute to the spreading epidemic of lazyness in this country.

Sarah H. 1st

Anonymous said...

Allen J. 1st

I would first ask the beggar if he would like a hot dog. If he says he would, then I would get one for him and one for myself. If he says he needs cash, I would buy two hot dogs still and go and eat them right in front of him and tell him he should have taken the guaranteed object instead of the gamble at cash. As many people know, I am agnostic and my two best friends are atheists, so I have no moral reproach whatsoever in making fun of the bum. However, due to an experience in the past with a beggar in Lubbock out by the strip who had on new boots when he was asking for money, and who then got into a new Cadillac afterwards, I feel it is better to give someone something only if they work for it, whether it be working at a respected business or juggling a bowling pin, a tennis racket, and a basketball all at the same time on the street, (which, by the way, was awesome).

Anonymous said...

Maggie C. 5th

I would buy a hot dog for the beggar instead of giving him money because then he would most likely buy booze. By purchasing a hot dog for the beggar, I am helping him and the vendor is getting his money.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer Spears-5th

Well, since I am normally suspicious of everyone, I would probably ignore the beggar and keep walking so that my stomach clenching would cease. I do feel inclined to assist beggar mothers though since they have their children to think of. In that case I would buy a hot dog for the beggar and give her the rest of the change and then hope that it goes to helping the child.---I really shouldn't let my suspicions overcome my religious obligations though...

Anonymous said...

Kristen E. -2nd p.

I would buy the beggar a hot dog because if i gave him cash, he would most likely spend it on useless substances instead of something beneficiary. plus he has to be hungry anyway, because everyone has to eat at some point. A person cant solely live off of alchol and survive.

Anonymous said...

I've always been told that if you can't fight the urge to give them money, then offer to take them to get something to eat. If they turn you down then most likely they didn't even need the money in the first place.

Eric R. 2nd

Anonymous said...

Clayton P. 2nd

On a good day I would buy the beggar a hot dog to benefit him and the upstanding citizen.

On the other hand, if it was a bad day, and the beggar stuck out his hand when I walked buy, I would just tell him why would I give you my money that I have worked for and earned? It's your fault you're in that position anyways.

Anonymous said...

In most cases beggars are asking for food, therefore i would give them what they were asking for- a hot dog. That way if they are telling the truth, then they get what they need and if not, I haven't enabled them to buy something other than food that might not be so healthy.

Anonymous said...

the one above was Brittany Hoffman - 5th! =]

Anonymous said...

Bennett W. 5th
If I gave him no money I would feel guilty no matter how I rationalize the matter. If I gave him all my money then I would have none left for myself. I think the best option would be to give him half of my money so we both have something. Share the wealth but don't give all of it away.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm definately not going to offer money that I have earned for myself to a man who will not work and would probably by booze with my money. However, giving is definately not a bad thing. I would by a hot dog for the guy. This way I would be supporting the vendor and helping somebody.

Bo Campbell-1st

Anonymous said...

I'd buy myself a hotdog and buy the begger some booze. Much simpler that way, and we're both garunteed to get what we want.
- The Wasiuta, 2nd period

Anonymous said...

Arthur Brooks' 2nd option is the best one to put into action. If you buy the beggar a hot dog you will be helping the beggar by supplying him with dinner and also rewarding the vendor by purchasing a hot dog from him. Also if you donate the money to an organization instead of putting the money straight into the beggar's hands then the possibility of the money going to the benefit of the beggar is greater.

Anonymous said...

Tiffany G. 1st
I would buy him a couple of hotdogs because the money will not be waisted in any way. The beggar is hungry and the hotdog guy has to make a living so they both benefit from you giving the ten dollars.

Anonymous said...

angela scioli 1st

Buy the beggar a hot dog, that way you know exactly how you money is being spent. Everyone needs food to survive, though some beggars think all they need is alcohol, they are wrong. So, to ensure they also get nutrition, give them some food. God wants up to give in whatever way we can, and feeding someone is a big way of giving back. In this way you are helping economically and morally.

Anonymous said...

Justin Pena 2nd

I like Barbara Ehrenreich's approach rewarding both the hardworking citizen and help out the poor beggar. But I think that giving is all about where your heart is! If your intentions are good than "for those who have a giving heart, great will be your rewards in heaven"!the bible. Not that i do it for the reward but u know what i mean.

Anonymous said...

Betsy E. 2nd

To be perfectly honest, I have to take this kind of situation on a case by case basis. There are things in life that have to be decided purely by a gut feeling. Giving money to beggars is one of those things. It's a spur of the moment decision. Oh, and in regard to the hot dog vendor, I would only buy one if I was hungry.

Anonymous said...

Alexa Daniel 2nd

It seems it would be best to buy the hot dog for the beggar, and in that way support both the homeless and the upstanding citizen. It is hard to judge, however, the way most people, including myself, would actually respond in this type of situation. The tempation would be to avoid contact and pretend to be unaware of the beggar's existence.

Anonymous said...

Danielle V. 1st

I would not give money to the beggar. When someone is just as able as I am to work for money and the still don't, I honestly don't have any sympathy for them. Giving to a charity for someone who really can't help themself is one thing, but providing an able person with your earned money isn't right.

Anonymous said...

I would probably give the money to the beggar just because I have somewhat of a heart and would feel way too guilty if I didn't give him anything. Also, the hotdog doesn't sound good at all!!!
Kimber Davis (1st period)

Anonymous said...

Nichole C. 1st
I have always had an issue with giving money to the homeless. I am afraid that they will not use the money for necessities, rather to go buy alcohol or drugs. The sad thing is though, that some people are homeless and begging because they really need the money to survive. My grandfather invited a homeless man to eat with him one time and the man refused to go to that place to eat. From that point on, my grandfather refused to aid the beggars because they just wanted some money not people's help.

Anonymous said...

I would offer to buy the beggar a hot dog instead of giving them money. The money would probably end up being used to buy booze or drugs anyways.

Melissa C. 2nd

Anonymous said...

Erin F. 1st

I think that if we didn't give beggars our money and just bought them the food we would have less of a begging problem. By doing this we would also help lower the drug and alchol abuse rate.

Anonymous said...

If i were aprroached i would buy the guy a hotdog and give a tip to the hot dog guy, because if hes drunk or been drinking you know hes probly just gonna do it again and therefore doesnt deserve to have money when he has no money to spend on booze

Tanner S. 2nd

Anonymous said...

I've never been too keen on giving random people money no matter how bad off they look. I guess I would ask the guy if he wanted something to eat, and if he said yes then i would buy him a hot dog. If he said no, 'I just want cash', then of course I wouldn't give him my hard earned money. Honestly, if I can get a job, anyone can.

-Olivia M. 2nd

Anonymous said...

Tamara Wallace 5th

I know that the right thing to do would be to give the beggar all of the ten dollar bill. If he does go and buy alcohol it is none of my business, we all have our addictions. But in the real world I would probably avoid the beggar and keep my money for myself. Not facing the problem is the best way out of it.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to say whether or not I would give money to a beggar. From personal expirience, giving money has totally backfired. You just never know. I would try to judge by their appearance but who knows if thats how they really are. You hate to say no and turn them away but also I would rather the money to go to something I KNOW would be good than rather to someone it wouldn't.

Petra Bergstein-5th

Anonymous said...

Personaly the problem comes with the money itself. if it were me i would by food for the begger not give him the money. if i want to help him i would give him what he needs. if i gave him money i would give him what he wants and thats not going to help him.

Matt S 5

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't give money to an homeless person. The majority of them are on the streets because of an addiction. Plus, if I give them money they would most likely feed their addiction. So, what I would do is buy them that hot dog. It would make me feel better to know that I actually helped than rather feed their addiciton.

Kim L. (1)

Anonymous said...

Madison G. 5th
I hate these kind of situations. If I don't give the money to the beggar I feel bad, but if I do I have to live with the uncertainty of how it will be used. I guess I would do what Barbara Ehrenreich did...buy a hotdog for the guy and give the rest as a tip to the vendor.