Monday, November 12, 2007

An economist goes to a bar.


Believe it or not this is about economics. Part of economics is studying rational choice. What better way to study this than looking at date selection. I think you will find the results of this study interesting although you probably won't be suprised by the results. Tell me what you think is the most important factor attracting you to another person (honestly and tastefully please).

55 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like "A Beautiful Mind" with Russell Crowe.
been there, seen that.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought about that. That particular scene was about game theory. For the record I selected my wife because she was (and still is) smokin' hot. She obviously was attracted to my incredible intellect.

Mr. McKay

Anonymous said...

Nichole C. 1st
I do agree with the article, as women usually look for a man who is intelligent and well off. I look for a guy who is intelligent and has a great personality. While looks do matter greatly, it is not the only thing that attracts me to a guy.

Anonymous said...

Madison G. 5th
This article was really interesting! Personally, I love a guy with a sense of humor. Intelligence and maturity are also really important, but if he can make me laugh he's got me.
P.S. love Jim and Pam. best couple ever :]

Anonymous said...

...does she tell you what to do?

Anonymous said...

JR Norton 5th

I like the Dunder Mufflin Paper Company plug-- even though they have the most boring generic names of any couple(Jim and Pam). The studies findings shouldn't shock anyone. They only reinforce the stereotypes that we all know are omnipresent when it comes to attraction. Both men and women choose on appearance. Men are attracted to curves and lines and features where women tend to notice the brand(they hope designer) of his suit, his hair, his watch his shoes. Both can be guilty at looking at the backside. Men...well you know, but women key in on the thickness of that back pocket. Of course this isn't all there is to attraction, nobody is that shallow-- i hope.
What did intrest me was how men and women perceived other races in the dating scene. The experiment found that women were much less likely to be attracted to men outside their own race and men seemed to be unaffected. Women are usually seen as open-minded and men as more traditional. The findings, however, completely disowned that thought. The one exception were east asian women; they did not discriminate against white men.
Personally, I am initially attracted based on appearance; this fondness has nothing to do with what race that appearance hails from. Then I explore the personality and intelligence to see if I can sustain an attraction after I get over the looks. Im sure that there is a bit of subconscious screening for other things that might be publicly perceived as discriminating but believe it or not love must be practical. That is why we decide our mates now-- not mom or dad or yenta.

Anonymous said...

i guess for marriage all this makes sense but for dating?... i dont think so.
everyone wants the hottest boyfriend. hahah :)

clare p.
(2)

Anonymous said...

I found this article rather interesting. One thing I have noticed is that romance is, in a sense, very practical. Maybe not so much in High School, but once you're serious about marriage, it becomes a rational choice thing. I don't mean to say that people don't just "fall in love" anymore, but they make a rational choice concerning the people they will allow themsevles to fall in love with.

Whitley C. -1st

Anonymous said...

Leah B. - 2nd

I'm just as guilty as anyone, as far as the stereotypes go. But, I'm quite content in my choice.
:) Yes, this is cheezy, but I know it will make someone smile...

P.S. I wonder if humor similarities have anything to do with it...?

Anonymous said...

tanner s. - 2nd

i agree with the study.i am glad you're content as am i

Anonymous said...

for me, personality is the most important, and im surprised that the article didn't say anything about it. someone who is good looking, smart, and/or ambitious could a bad personality and what is the purpose of being with someone who you can't stand.
Mindy Orr 5th

Anonymous said...

Sure, despite what everyone will say face-forward, appearance for practically all of us is the first thing we consider.For me race doesn't factor into this, despite the fact that women seem to be less open minded to inter-racial dating.Then I would have to say personality and other qualities are huge factors to see if I can maintain an attraction after I get over the looks.There is no point in being w/ someone attractive if that's all they have to offer.
-Bethany R 2nd

Anonymous said...

Erin F. -1st

This article is totally true in that we do tend to stick to poeple who have similar traits and trades as we do. I think that in a less than serious dating scene looks are much more important. When looking for that perfect someone to spend the rest of your life with traits like personality, intellect, and personal success become more detrimental in forming a good relationship. On that same note I would like to say that speed dating is one of the worst ideas ever invented, how could you ever find your soul mate in 4 min. I mean sure I believe in love at first sight as much as the next sappy romantic girly girl but COME ON!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Kaley M.(5)
I believe that this article is true because people want the best match for them in life. Similar traits are what attract people to one another, if the two have something in common it gives them things to talk about. Whereas you have two opposites there is nothing to talk about.

Anonymous said...

Personality is deffinatly big..they need to stand out. This article makes sense. People need to have things in common with another and be attracted to the other but then on the other hand, it makes life interesting if they are different people and can still have fun.
Petra B-5th

Anonymous said...

personally, there's always that first initial physical attraction paired with a great sense of intellect, humor, and personality that attracts me to someone. Its also a big plus if they are really outgoing and ambitious. It's still good to have some differences though, because then you can learn and grow from eachother.

Kristen E. 2nd

Anonymous said...

tyler l. 5th

guys go for the looks and girls go for the money. that simple.

you can marry more $ on 10 minutes than you can make in a lifetime.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca S. 5th
I agree with the article... it just confirmed what everyone already assumed- guys want good looks, girls want intelligence and money. personally, i think a good personality and sense of humor are the most important traits.

Anonymous said...

The things that attract me to a guy the most are his faith, his intelligence, and his sense of humor. I could care less about the money or popularity. Physically, I notice the eyes first.
Lauren R. 5th

Anonymous said...

Honestly, for me there is a slight first physical attraction, but personality, and sense of humor are what keep my attention. The first thing I always notice is their smile. The article makes sense from the initial meeting stand point.

Sarah Henderson - 1st

Anonymous said...

Honestly, the first thing I see is appearance, but if the girl has no personality or humor, that attraction will be gone. Humor is a big deal in my mind. If she has no sense of humor, you can count me out, no matter how hot she may be.
-Justin N. 2nd Period

Anonymous said...

Thomas G. 1st

I think the article is fairly accurate. Of course looks are always a big factor, I mean how can you talk to someone if you can hardly stand to look at them. But, personality is just as important; I prefer girls that are smart and have a sense of humor. Although, I guess it would be irritating if the girl were smarter than me.......but oddly enough I've never run into that problem ;-)

Anonymous said...

James M. 2nd

These people at Columbia have way too much time to be running experiments like this that are so subjective that it can not be prove on a consistent basis

Anonymous said...

Ty P. 5th
I agree with the article where it says people tend to marry who they meet versus who they prefer. I don't buy into the thought that there is "one true love" out there for everyone, but rather there are many people who we could fall for. It all just depends on which one we find.

PS. Sweet picture of Jam.

Anonymous said...

Brittney O. 5th

Everyone knows most guys care about looks, and most girls care about intelligence and money. That's nothing new. But I believe you fall for the kinds of people you surround yourself with. You don't always choose who you are attracted to or what attracts you to them.

Anonymous said...

intelligence, humour or outer lok is not enough. I want to feel safe with this person and know that he is not afraid to tell me the truth sometimes (not openly criticize me) in order to improve me 0 the I would know that he really cares
Marta Gabler 2nd

Anonymous said...

Maggie C.
5th

I agree with the article because most women find intelligence more attractive whereas men find looks more attractive. Personally in a guy I am attracted to a good personality and a great sense of humor.

Anonymous said...

Bennett W. 5th

I agree with James, those people have way to much time on there hands. And yeah its only speculation and offers no definitive evidence. There really can't be anything definitive because the traits the are trying to quantify are a matter of opinion.

Anonymous said...

...Well except for money, thats easy to quantify

Anonymous said...

Betsy E. 2nd

Good Lord! No wonder the U.S. has such a high divorce rate! The most our citizens look for in a mate is money and looks? Yikes! To me the most important thing to consider when finding a mate is compatibility. If this guy and I can't succeed in being partners, how can we make hard decisions that are inevitable in marriage? I know this isn't a very romantic perspective, but I want someone to tell me when I'm being unreasonable and be able to put me in my place.

Anonymous said...

...except in economics class, thats when it gets difficult.

Anonymous said...

Davis Wilkinson - 2nd

It's interesting girls weigh intelligence twice as high as men. Nevertheless, I agree with the study.

Anonymous said...

The findings of the study were not suprising at all, except for the part about men and women of other races. I thought it would have been the other way around. But we also have to acknowledge that the circumstances of the meetings of these men and women were not very typical. I don't think that the everyday person meets 10-20 prospective mates a day. In the everyday world, it's the growing of relationships and learning of similarities and differences between yourself and another that causes attraction (and this usually takes a little bit more than 4 minutes of chit-chat)

Laura H. 2nd

Anonymous said...

I pretty much agree with the article. Its not a big shocker. Its true that most guys notice looks first and women see what they see. Personally, looks are what i notice first but if that person has no sense of humor that attraction is gone. Also, I think these people are making this a little more complicated that what it really is.

Anonymous said...

^^^ Bo C. 1st

Anonymous said...

of course it is true that any guy or girl first becomes attracted to the opposite sex from looks. It is the first thing we can tell from a person. However, for me, if i start to talk to that person and she sounds like an idiot, i am immediately unnatracted.. I guess you could say i look first to looks (like anyone else), then second to personality. Plus, she aint a lady unless she's 280.

J.T. W. 5th

Anonymous said...

i notice a guy for his looks first but i guess i'm stereotypical because i mainly look for intelligence and humor.

Melissa C. 2nd

Anonymous said...

I agree with the study. Looks are the first thing I notice.

Eric Rooker 2nd

Anonymous said...

Allen J. 1st

I think I'm gonna have to agree with James and Bennett on this one. People who have free time to do that at a university are just wasting money that could be used for paying my way through college so I can build stuff and do some good for society instead of just confirming what is already known. Besides, the study was done at COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY with GRADUATE STUDENTS. none of the results could be very accurate because only really smart people get in there and stay for graduate degrees, meaning they are all probably ugly. At least we know one thing for sure: don't go to Columbia because you won't learn anything useful.

Anonymous said...

Reagan Doyal -5th

I'm not really surprised by the study. It makes since to be initially more attracted to someone at first just because you usually see them before you actually talk to them. I think the most important factor in another person is based more on a personality that mataches with mine.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this study wasn't not surprising because we are brought up to think that way. Personality that is completely opposite really attracts me because the things that I hate or do not do well they do.
Tiffany G. 1st

Anonymous said...

Heather F. 1st

Of course men value looks and women value personality, brains, and security. Men and women are obviously different in picking a partner. Men are initially attracted by appearance and women most of the time, while looks do matter, are attracted by the way a man carries and presents himself. A guy who is smart but doesn't make himself look stupid by using unnecessary big words will attract me. A guy who is successful in life and knows what he wants will attract me. A guy who can make me feel safe and who isn't incredibly cocky will attract me. A guy who has a personality that compliments mine will attract me.

Anonymous said...

Matthew K 1st

I admire class, ambition, originality, confidence, imagination, style, and honesty. Or at least I think I do. God knows what women want???

Anonymous said...

Talor P. 1st period

I think its impossible for anyone to say that looks dont matter. Take, for example, any animals in the wild: they find mates based on looks as well. It's animal instinct to engender relations with one that your physically attracted to. You wouldn't strike up a conversation with someone unless they caught your attention and the only way to do that is by the way they look; well, at first. For me, of course a person's appearance matters, but after that if they can't have an intelligent conversation with me, I'm out.

Anonymous said...

well i sorta agree with this alot of guys do just choose looks but, this study won't show what all guys choose one) because economist cant do this study two) unless every guy in the world conducted this test then i won't belive it one hundred percent

Marcus L.
2nd

Anonymous said...

i agree, men go for looks, women like intelligence. i find it interesting that women discriminate based upon race less than men.

jb m pd2

Anonymous said...

I agree with the study. Which is really stereotypical but that is just human instinct. If the inside is not as attractive as the outside then I'll move on to the next guy.
shannon h 2nd

Anonymous said...

Anyone who says "looks don't matter" is a big fat liar. If looks didn't matter, why is our country so obsessed with cosmetic sugery and that 'perfect' look? Of course, like anyone else, the first thing I notice about a guy is his looks, but if I start talking to him and feel like my IQ is gradually dropping, the attraction is immediately gone. I don't care about money so much as I do intelligence, sense of humor, and drive. If a guy has no priorities or ambition... he's a looooooser.

=]
Kaci Pickering 5th

Anonymous said...

it's hard to have a healthy relationship with someone if there's no physical attraction. However, it's near impossible to have a healthy relationship with someone if there's no connection on a deeper level. If someone looks sloppy it says a lot about their standards, but if someone is a complete idiot and has no opinion, that says even more. I guess it just has a lot to do with what you'll put up with.

Olivia M.
2nd

Anonymous said...

Jennifer S-5th

(sorry my comment is so late, I completely forgot about it)

I attempt to look at the one within so I guess that I agree with the article. The results did not surprise me (not even the one about race). I personally like the halfy's because I know that they are mixed like me and I can't help but to wonder as the the color of the child of mixed parents...hmm...weird...

Anonymous said...

Yes people tend to go for similar traits, but on the other hand, some people attract opposites, just out of curiosity and for the challenge. But yeah, common ground definitely helps a relationship last. And looks definitely matter to guys. All guys. Always. It's just the way it is.
-The Wasiuta, 2nd Period.

Anonymous said...

Yes people tend to go for similar traits, but on the other hand, some people attract opposites, just out of curiosity and for the challenge. But yeah, common ground definitely helps a relationship last. And looks definitely matter to guys. All guys. Always. It's just the way it is.
-The Wasiuta, 2nd Period.

Anonymous said...

why did john post two of the same comments? mk...
anywho, i think the most important factor is sharing the same beliefs because everything that drives your life is based off of what you believe to be moral or what is wrong and so if your beliefs are similar to another person, you are likely to find attraction to them. It's human nature.
but i will admit that an important factor for most people can also be appearance. some people judge by what they appearance, rather than personality.

Gina P. (2nd)

Anonymous said...

Dalton F. 2nd
Well, anyone will tell you that the first thing they notice about the opposite sex is a physical trait (you SEE them before anything else so that kind of makes sense), and I’ll agree that, for guys, beauty is very important. Why then, if beauty is so important, would a guy limit himself only to those women who are less intelligent and less ambitious than he? Wouldn’t he want the most beautiful woman regardless of her intelligence or ambition? If a woman was beautiful and more intelligent than the man, would he make an exception? What if a woman isn’t that good-looking, but has a passion for what she does and has a drive that inspires others? Is the latter more important? This country become so obsessed with looks that we fail to realize what is most important.

Anonymous said...

Looks. Plain and simple haha. No try to get a date with someone they aren't attracted to. No one should be offended by this, it's just the way things are.

Derek Doss-2