Thursday, September 25, 2008

My music was better than your music.


This is the most bizarre chart I think I have seen regarding oil production. Need I remind of the difference between correlation and causation? Theories anyone?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

People probably listen to more rock because gas prices piss them off.

devonlangford5 said...

I highly doubt there is any sort of causation between these two statistics. It is ironic, however, that more oil was produced at the same time more popular rock music was produced. It is possible that the better quality rock music playing in the refineries while the laborers were working inspired said laborers to work harder, therefore producing more oil. =D

Anonymous said...

Could this just be mere coincidence? For that is all that this appears to be. Besides, what Rolling Stone magazine picks to be great differs from my opinion, and the opinions of many that listen to rock music. Don't know where I was going with that, but there it is. Oh wow I'm about to be late back to work...

Anonymous said...

One would never think to put these two variables together.

coleblackstock5 said...

It's simple, people listen to more rock while there happy, because the gas prices have gone down. Since you use more gas to power your stereo system, they can afford the the decrease in gas mileage (even thought the decrease is less than 1mpg) haha.

Jordan Aguirre said...

good music = happy Saudi Arabians = more oil production = lower gas prices = happy Americans = more good music.

That is the formula and we have messed it up with bad music.
exp. Rap, Hardcore, Metal, Punk, Butt Rock, and Screamo.

Heather Baumann 6th said...

It is crazy how these two things would have a relationship. I would have never thought to compare the two.

Mr. P said...

Ever heard "Rock the Casbah"?
I think Jordan has something there!

Gabrielle Garza said...

I'm not sure if there actually is a connection between the two, but the chart certainly is interesting. Also the older rock songs are more wholesome to listen to instead of todays so called popular "rap".

Anonymous said...

It's a very interesting comparison.... it could be just a coincidence, but who knows.... Perhaps it has something to do with overall government regulation???

hmmmm...

Tarek Shihab 2 said...

this is stupid. they're both just a general positive trend then a general negative trend that happen to fall in the same period time. the only possible explanation is jordan's.

Anonymous said...

This is something I never would have thought of doing, however, I agree that these two things correlate together by mere chance, and the idea that there is any significance between them is absurd.

Anonymous said...

Crude oil in some way must cause good songs to some degree because it is too close to be just coincidence and also too weirdly related for the two to be correlated. Perhaps with an increase in crude oil production there is an influx of great ideas by song writers.

Anonymous said...

this is pretty cool, but i think it's a coincidence