Sunday, January 04, 2009

As if Things Weren't Bad Enough, Russian Professor Predicts End of U.S.




MOSCOW -- For a decade, Russian academic Igor Panarin has been predicting the U.S. will fall apart in 2010. For most of that time, he admits, few took his argument -- that an economic and moral collapse will trigger a civil war and the eventual breakup of the U.S. -- very seriously. Now he's found an eager audience: Russian state media.

In recent weeks, he's been interviewed as much as twice a day about his predictions. "It's a record," says Prof. Panarin. "But I think the attention is going to grow even stronger."
Prof. Panarin, 50 years old, is not a fringe figure. A former KGB analyst, he is dean of the Russian Foreign Ministry's academy for future diplomats. He is invited to Kremlin receptions, lectures students, publishes books, and appears in the media as an expert on U.S.-Russia relations.


But it's his bleak forecast for the U.S. that is music to the ears of the Kremlin, which in recent years has blamed Washington for everything from instability in the Middle East to the global financial crisis. Mr. Panarin's views also fit neatly with the Kremlin's narrative that Russia is returning to its rightful place on the world stage after the weakness of the 1990s, when many feared that the country would go economically and politically bankrupt and break into separate territories.


A polite and cheerful man with a buzz cut, Mr. Panarin insists he does not dislike Americans. But he warns that the outlook for them is dire.


"There's a 55-45% chance right now that disintegration will occur," he says. "One could rejoice in that process," he adds, poker-faced. "But if we're talking reasonably, it's not the best scenario -- for Russia." Though Russia would become more powerful on the global stage, he says, its economy would suffer because it currently depends heavily on the dollar and on trade with the U.S.


Mr. Panarin posits, in brief, that mass immigration, economic decline, and moral degradation will trigger a civil war next fall and the collapse of the dollar. Around the end of June 2010, or early July, he says, the U.S. will break into six pieces -- with Alaska reverting to Russian control.
In addition to increasing coverage in state media, which are tightly controlled by the Kremlin, Mr. Panarin's ideas are now being widely discussed among local experts. He presented his theory at a recent roundtable discussion at the Foreign Ministry. The country's top international relations school has hosted him as a keynote speaker. During an appearance on the state TV channel Rossiya, the station cut between his comments and TV footage of lines at soup kitchens and crowds of homeless people in the U.S. The professor has also been featured on the Kremlin's English-language propaganda channel, Russia Today.


Mr. Panarin's apocalyptic vision "reflects a very pronounced degree of anti-Americanism in Russia today," says Vladimir Pozner, a prominent TV journalist in Russia. "It's much stronger than it was in the Soviet Union."


Mr. Pozner and other Russian commentators and experts on the U.S. dismiss Mr. Panarin's predictions. "Crazy ideas are not usually discussed by serious people," says Sergei Rogov, director of the government-run Institute for U.S. and Canadian Studies, who thinks Mr. Panarin's theories don't hold water.


Mr. Panarin's résumé includes many years in the Soviet KGB, an experience shared by other top Russian officials. His office, in downtown Moscow, shows his national pride, with pennants on the wall bearing the emblem of the FSB, the KGB's successor agency. It is also full of statuettes of eagles; a double-headed eagle was the symbol of czarist Russia.


The professor says he began his career in the KGB in 1976. In post-Soviet Russia, he got a doctorate in political science, studied U.S. economics, and worked for FAPSI, then the Russian equivalent of the U.S. National Security Agency. He says he did strategy forecasts for then-President Boris Yeltsin, adding that the details are "classified."


In September 1998, he attended a conference in Linz, Austria, devoted to information warfare, the use of data to get an edge over a rival. It was there, in front of 400 fellow delegates, that he first presented his theory about the collapse of the U.S. in 2010.


"When I pushed the button on my computer and the map of the United States disintegrated, hundreds of people cried out in surprise," he remembers. He says most in the audience were skeptical. "They didn't believe me."


At the end of the presentation, he says many delegates asked him to autograph copies of the map showing a dismembered U.S.


He based the forecast on classified data supplied to him by FAPSI analysts, he says. He predicts that economic, financial and demographic trends will provoke a political and social crisis in the U.S. When the going gets tough, he says, wealthier states will withhold funds from the federal government and effectively secede from the union. Social unrest up to and including a civil war will follow. The U.S. will then split along ethnic lines, and foreign powers will move in.
California will form the nucleus of what he calls "The Californian Republic," and will be part of China or under Chinese influence. Texas will be the heart of "The Texas Republic," a cluster of states that will go to Mexico or fall under Mexican influence. Washington, D.C., and New York will be part of an "Atlantic America" that may join the European Union. Canada will grab a group of Northern states Prof. Panarin calls "The Central North American Republic." Hawaii, he suggests, will be a protectorate of Japan or China, and Alaska will be subsumed into Russia.
"It would be reasonable for Russia to lay claim to Alaska; it was part of the Russian Empire for a long time." A framed satellite image of the Bering Strait that separates Alaska from Russia like a thread hangs from his office wall. "It's not there for no reason," he says with a sly grin.
Interest in his forecast revived this fall when he published an article in Izvestia, one of Russia's biggest national dailies. In it, he reiterated his theory, called U.S. foreign debt "a pyramid scheme," and predicted China and Russia would usurp Washington's role as a global financial regulator.


Americans hope President-elect Barack Obama "can work miracles," he wrote. "But when spring comes, it will be clear that there are no miracles."


The article prompted a question about the White House's reaction to Prof. Panarin's forecast at a December news conference. "I'll have to decline to comment," spokeswoman Dana Perino said amid much laughter.


For Prof. Panarin, Ms. Perino's response was significant. "The way the answer was phrased was an indication that my views are being listened to very carefully," he says.


The professor says he's convinced that people are taking his theory more seriously. People like him have forecast similar cataclysms before, he says, and been right. He cites French political scientist Emmanuel Todd. Mr. Todd is famous for having rightly forecast the demise of the Soviet Union -- 15 years beforehand. "When he forecast the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1976, people laughed at him," says Prof. Panarin.

50 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still don't really understand Igor Panarin's theory, but I hope he's wrong

lauras6 said...

It's not like I want it to happen, and the United States is not as messed up like certain countries. But I could see it happening if we don't get our act together.

nickp5 said...

I pretty much strongly disagree against the theory of Panarin. I mean right now it look like the United States is falling and falling fast, but that in no way means that we are going to turn on eachother and start a Civil War. The U.S is smart and will not let this counrty spilt into different parts. We are a World Power and have the abaility to control the path our counrty is headed.

JamieS3 said...

I think that if the US were to actually go into a civil war and consequently split that the whole world would suffer greatly.

Jeremy.M.5 said...

The United States may be having economic problems but we remain the greatest country in the world and are far from breaking apart.

Anonymous said...

ok, first of all, im having a little trouble understanding why Mr. McKay would pick this piece as the first one we are to read. Just as the papers we turned in are suppose to be like our "first impression", what does this say about him? Just sayin...
Anyway, i think this article is totally biased. Its really not about anything. The whole thing just builds up the credibility of this Panarin guy and doesn't do a good job of telling me anything about his theory, except that he thinks the U.S. will crumble in the next year. And frankly, there are a lot of people out there like that.
As to what he said, Russia has said over and over again over the last hundred years that it was going to clean up. Out with communism... Then they make a whole bunch of claims about other countries just to gain financial aid and technology from nations all over the world. In the end, they decide to return to their human rights abuses and communistic phylisophies.
thank you.

McKay said...

Ouch Mariah, you go straight for the jugular. I picked this as your first one because it was what was news on the day I was posting. It is not intended to be serious or scholarly. It is propaganda and that makes it relevant. As odd as you thought this was...well you ain't seen nothin' yet. Check the archives.

Ralston R 6th said...

Though it may seem that Panarin's theory is an example of bias, he does admit that the disintegration of the United States would not be good for the Russian economy. Therefore, Panarin's theory is a clear and logical prediction of the future of the US. He mentions the source of his data as FAPSI analysts, but does not provide a solid example of that data. Therefore, his theory is weak because it is not supported by enough evidence. It is simply a prediction based on his observation, a "hypothesis."

MaryH2 said...

The United States is one of the world's greatest powers. It would hurt EVERYONE if we split up. I think that not only our leaders would try to prevent this, but our allies would help try to prevent this.
I seriously hope that Panarin is wrong because the thought of his theory coming to life is really scarey. But I don't know how much to really be worried about it happening since the article didn't really give me any hard evidence.
Personally, I could see this possibly happening if our country continues down the path we're on. Lets hope that Obama can put this country back on track.

madisont2 said...

Okay, I'm kinda thinking this guy(or this professors fans) might put himself at a somewhat prophet status, but clearly he is not-he's just had some luck with his predictions. I'm highly doubting our nation would split. The United States takes too much comfort in our unity to divide. Minus Russia's cold blooded goverment, I can see their country splitting before ours. But of course if the Russian people revolted and split, who knows what the Russian Goverment may do.(probably cut off there oil resources as they just did to Europe) This guy just seems to enjoy thinking out loud to see how many people might actually believe him.

KyleMeeks2 said...

I bet The Texas Republic would be sick at football.

ShaneW2 said...

I believe I reacted to this article just as Dana Perino did, with "much laughter". First off, you cannot use Emmanuel Todd's prediction of the fall of the USSR to Panarin's prediction of the US. Communism to capitalism is a very difficult comparison. The general public is often more stable and satisfied being able to make their own decisions (what shoes to wear, where to work, where to live etc.) opposed to the typical communist whose life is dictated by the government. Also, how can you give this guy credibility when Vladimir Pozner is saying how his vision is pronounced as very anti-American, when Panarin (unreliably biased) claims he "does not dislike Americans" (can't even trust his grammer, without his non-double negatives and all).
Having a degree in political science does not justify one to make a prediction that the United States has a 45-55% chance to fall. I believe someone just got sick of picking potatoes out in the frozen fields and is jealous of the people in the soup lines eating his potatoes.

ajochoa3 said...

I really don't think the United States is going split up in to four sectors with in the next two years. Something major would have to happen for this to come true. However, anything is possible these days but I pray Igor is incorrect in his prediction. Honestly I don't understand how exactly this disturbing theory came to his russion brain?????????

Kevin Louder said...

If the US did break up, it would have a major impact on the whole world, but I don't see it happening. The Russians are just bitter.

laurene6 said...

I agree that Panarin was simply a good guesser when he "predicted" the fall of the U.S. I don't believe that the United States will break apart because if you think about it is there any one part of the country that loaths the other? The economy is going through a natural fluctuation and this country is strong enough to make it through. He is probably just jealous that Americans get to make their own decisions.

taylorn6 said...

Wow I could not disagree more. Panarin seems very egotistical and everything he says seem based purely on personal opionion. I feel like I just watched a Michael Moore documentary about Iraq. This guy obviously doesn't understand that although America's economy is not at its greatest point, that people still have nationalism and would stick it through. We may not be having the best of times currently but we'd never abandon our country. Even if we did want to split up isn't it sort of illegal to do that? I mean if everytime we got stuck in a rut and any state could just secede at the drop of a hat we wouldn't have the stable nation we have now.

lauray5 said...

Wow. That seriously made me laugh. It's funny how misinformed people in Russia are that they actually take this theory seriously. I mean, sure the United States has issues, but not enough that would engulf our country into another Civil War.

Paula M 2 said...

It is very informative and interesting. I never knew that this existed (the theory, I mean). I believe that there is no miracle for debts, so no person at the current time can help it, but maybe someday in the future

AuroraS6 said...

well, to me, panarin sounds like he's spouting a lot of KGB wishful thinking. i'm sure may old KGBs may WISH for US to break up but it doesn't mean it'll happen. i have to admit that, yes, it is possible. anything is possible after all. i'm just saying that it will take A LOT for the US to split apart. look at the great depression. it was unbelievably awful. the US didn't break up then, did it? i'm sure instances and times were different but americans are still americans. people don't change. time does.

ChristaC3 said...

That's wierd that he predicted our economic crisis, but the whole "disintegration" idea is pretty out there.

kelleyy2 said...

I think this guy is nuts!! The US definitly does have a few problems at the moment but I highly doubt there will be anther civil war. Also, I think that if Texas did fall under Mexican control it would be HORRIBLE!!!

JordanC2 said...

Now i know why Russia has so many problems. The people in charge are complete morons, Panarin especially. Obviously this guy needs to get better sources or go back to school because the idea of American disentigration is absolutely ludicrous and preposterous. For one thing, Texas would not ever become part of Mexico. If anything, Mexico would become part of Texas. Total Domination

JuliaC5 said...

i think this guy is very ignorant....we're in an economic crisis the u.s. isn't going break apart--and who likes russia anyway :]

Anonymous said...

This is rediculous, I highly doubt that the U.S. would ever break apart

Maryy Sue said...

Okay, so Panarin's theory is interesting, but utterly absurd. Yes, the US has its problems, but to think that we would split or break into civil war is a joke.

MelissaM6 said...

I disagree with Panarin.. He is just jealous of the United States. Thats all.

BrandiC6 said...

I definately do not see the U.S. breaking apart any time soon. We've got our problems, but who doesn't? And if his ideas are being presented to the public while "cutting between his comments and TV footage of lines at soup kitchens and crowds of homeless people in the U.S." then of course it seems like we're completely screwed. Even if the U.S. does break apart eventually, it's not happening in 2010.

Ben Cobb said...

i believe panarin's forcast to be somewhat true. it has become evident in the past decade that our economy is falling apart. there is no doubt about it. it is rather difficult however to predict the exact year of economic destruction. economic forcasts are based on spending patterns. if the patterns halt then the forcast becomes incorrect. i respect his prediction but i would be more convinced if this article was more detailed and descriptive. there is no way to know what will happen but i am eager to find out in this next presidency.

MadisonA5 said...

Every world power since the beginning of time has eventually come to a destructive end. The Holy Roman Empire for instance split due to war. While Rome did down size it did not however disappear like many others have done throughout history. America is not perfect and is certainly not immune to a demise such as those faced by other world powers, but I am not denying the chance of it happening.
When Panarin shows the poor of the U.S. standing outside homeless shelters and soup kitchens waiting their turn, of couse it would seem that America is collapsing if it has not been shown before even if it has always been present. But, what country in the world does not have homeless people? I am quite sure Russia has its fair share of homeless, just as China, Great Britian, France, Saudi Arabia, and other countries around the globe do. I don't know why he thinks America would be any different. The U.S. has as many faults in it's culture as other countries, although perhaps a few less. The possibility of the fall of the U.S. from power is very possible still, though at the same time we are not the only country in the world facing economic crises.

SabrinaT2 said...

There is no way that the U.S. could split up because of an economic crisis. We are in this together and this guy has no idea what he is talking about. Because we are all going through the same crisis, there is no way that we could start a civil war. If a war was started, it would be for many other reasons than just the economy.

Thanas said...

I think this guys an idiot. After 9/11 America has become very strong. Even if this were to happen it would not be anytime near 2010.

Ryan R6 said...

As alarming as this theory seems to be, there is some frightful truth behind it. I don't think we would go into a civil war, but I do believe things are going to get worse rather than better. I hope Obama can work a "miricale".

elliottg2 said...

i would have to agree with this dude; as much as we'd like to think we've changed from the racist nation we were in the past, America is still very socially segregated and racist. If there were to be some catastrophic event casusing us to go into civil war, i would have to agree that people could react in a way that would be all too much like Charles Manson's 'helter skelter'. America loves to call itself the greatest nation in the world, but i don't see us sticking together in such a time of crisis; i mean how many people do you hear actually saying the pledge in the morning? not to say you don't love America if you don't pledge, but i just don't think people take time to realize and appreciate what it means to be an American.

i'm not saying i believe America will fall, i'm just saying that if it did , would you fight to keep it one nation? I hope that you would, i know civil war has devestated this nation before, and it is hard to believe it could ever happen again, but just look at whats happening now - we're becoming really economically weak really hard and fast, and people tend to react pretty irrationally when they're pocket book's in jeopardy

BryanO6 said...

I'm sorry but if you want my two since, this guy is a nut.

chrisb5 said...

I believe that the us will not break up. but in the event it did, i tjink o could handle a rifle well enough

MikenziM6 said...

Well I think that Panarin's theory was based more off of hate and dislike for the U.S. rather than logic. Times have changed and we as a country have moved past civil conflict. While other less advanced countries still suffer from that, I don't believe we would turn on eachother like that. Times get hard, but we have people in charge who know how to handle issues, like the economy. And there is no way our country will let itself fold like that in the next couple of years.

KalebM 2 said...

This Professor's theory is all good and well for his country because his country hates ours. Therefore, I believe that this guy just got the luck of the draw and everybody is blowing his good guess out of proportion.

DamonD6 said...

I hope this guy doesn't take himself seriously. There is no issue that is large enough to cast the United States into another civil war. And a six sided issue? Definitely not. If he does actually take himself seriously, I think he's confused his theories with wishful thinking.

LathanS3 said...

I think this guy is full of it. Everyone knows that the US is going through a rough patch right now but you cant seriously think that it will cause all out civil war and cause a division in 5 countries. The US will pull through as it always does and still be the most powerful country in the world today

little mari said...

I think professor Panarin's theory that the United States will crumble in 2010 is kind of like the theory (from those ancient people in south america? i forgot exactly what theyre called) that the world will end in 2012. While both theories most likely aren't true, the current economic status of the United States certainly isn't hurting any of the theory's credibility.

alexv5 said...

I think there is too much of a national identity for there to be any sort of major split in the future of the U.S. There are people suffering in every state so I don't really expect there to be particular states looking to benifit at the cost of other states.

leighannalogsdon5 said...

This propaganda message is simply an attempt of Russia to declare superiority that they have desired to regain since the demise of the Soviet Union. For instance, Vladimir Putin declared in his presidential address on April 25, 2005, that "it is worth acknowledging that the demise of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the century." Putin went on to argue that since the threat to Russia from terrorism was "still very strong," the Kremlin must be strong to eradicate such terror. He concluded that " the moment [Russia] display[s] weakness or spinelessness, our losses will be immeasurably greater." Although in 2008, Dmitry Medvedev became the chosen successor of the former president Putin, Putin is still in the heart of power. Mr. Putin's unprecedented move from the Kremlin to the premiership completed a carefully staged transition which will ensure he remains involved. President Medvedev even said that his political mentor will play a "key role" in shaping the country's development over the next decade. From the information, it is easy to see why this theory is receiving "increasing coverage in state media, which is tightly controlled by the Kremlin" and "featured on the Kremlin's English -langauge PROPAGANDA channel, Russia Today." This theory's plausibility was best explained by Sergei Rogov, the director of the government-run Institute for U.S. and Canadian Studies," Crazy ideas are not usually discussed by serious people." On that note, I terminate my response because "Mr. Panarin's theories don't hold water."

anjej6 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anjej6 said...

In all honesty, I don't know if I can give any conspiracy theories nowadays any serious consideration. (Noting the fact that Panarin has a buzz cut, but I shall digress.)

To me, Panarin's theory, which I don't even want to call a theory seeing as it doesn't have much supporting evidence, is already invalidated by himself when he conceded to the fact that Russia "depends heavily" on US anyways. If his inflammatory thoughts come miraculously to fruition, I bet that he'll wish he had never said these things. I mean-- guilt trip much? It's like ill-wishing on someone (US) whom you're (Russia) benefiting from.

As the saying goes: don't bite the hand that feeds you.

trevorb6 said...

Even though the US is going through some hard times I dont see us splitting up anytime soon. America will stick together and get through this tough time. If the US ever broke apart it would definitely not be in 2010.

Anonymous said...

I think that Panarin is a little far-fetched, but alot of what he says has credibility to some degree. Every major power eventually falls, and I think the United States is on their way to sharp decline in power. The question is really how much of a decline we are facing, and to say that the U.S. will confront civil war is mainly a way to gain popularity with the Kremlin. However, if not properly taken care of, economic crisis could split up the U.S. Was it not the fear of loosing their wealth generated from slavery that prompted the south to secede in the civil war? Money is power, and if we loose our monetary power in this nation, I hope we can find something else to draw our strength from in order to hold ourselves together.

KevinJ3 said...

I just don't see the United States breaking apart in the near future. But the United States like every other major power does have a chance of falling, I just don't see it happening by 2010. Panarin's thought is a little out there but has slight truth to it.

veronica1 said...

It dosen't really matter anyway since the Mayan's predicted the world to end in 2012, anyway the russians are a bunch of drunks.

nataliem5 said...

I don't believe the United States will ever divide. We have become a strong nation even though we are considered new compared to most countries and we are relatively small to most. I think the strength of the United States will never fall.

mckenziew5 said...

I definately dont agree with this guy, America is just going through a hard time right now and there are people in this country who are smart enough to think of a way to help us out of this economic mess. America is a strong nation and I dont think it will be falling into a bunch of pieces anytime soon.