Wednesday, February 14, 2007

File this one under "I told you so".


We talked about this when we discussed supply and demand in labor markets and increasing the minimum wage. Here's some proof that I was not just making it up.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope I don't get fired. That would suck.

Justin H 5th period

Anonymous said...

i have to agree with Justin.

Logan F. 2nd

Anonymous said...

I guess that explains why my hours got cut. They should've just left minimum wage the way it was.
Katie H. 2nd

Anonymous said...

Does anyone else think that the person in that picture is one of those people with an undistinguishable gender? Kind of like Pat from It's Pat. It sounds like increasing minimum wage isn't as awesome as it sounds. I'm sure those people who lost their jobs were all excited about their new paycheck...until they got fired.

Amy W. 5th

McKay said...

When I picked this photo I thought it was a woman. What I can tell for sure is she/he hates her/his job.

McKay

Anonymous said...

I think that the raise in minimum wage was a bad idea. More high school students are getting laid off and getting their hours cut back.
We should have left minimum wage as it was. After all we are the future!
Sterling Swack - 2nd

Anonymous said...

hmmm, i think the raise in wages has some advantages. but now more teens are gonna get laid off of work because of it. hopefully im not gonna be one of them.

Nathan O.(1)

Anonymous said...

im sure the people who put this wage raise into action certainly looked at the possibilities of teenagers loosing hours or even their jobs. I just think they couldn't care less

Justin R. 1st

Anonymous said...

Well the effects arent going to be limited to just fast-food. Every business will experience a change in the numbers. I work at United and a couple of weeks ago I asked my boss what this minimum wage change will do ours and other United stores. He said that no doubt maybe a couple of people, basically the ones that keep giving trouble for others and not doing there jobs, will be terminated and that hours from certain departments will be cut. But that there will not be a massive employee termination where over half the work force at a store will be cut. Consequently, shelf prices will rise a little to cover make up the loss due to the wage increase. Right now, I'm not real worried about it all. Hey at least the people who don't get cut will get a raise.

Anonymous said...

minumum wage should not have been adjusted.
and yes the person in the picture is defintently an "it"


Cameron K.
5th

Anonymous said...

Although the politicians thought it was a good idea to raise minimum wage, it was not. I used to think raising would be benefitial for us too, but firing and decreasing teenagers working hours is more detremental than increasing our pay. Us getting paid more is good; however, while some might be getting paid more, others are getting fired. I just hope Texas does not increase minimum wage anymore.

William Brooks-2nd

Anonymous said...

who elected these polititions to make these decisions i blame old people, its a consperecy they want us (teenagers) to be broke so we dont hang out at the mall and cant afford cars and stuff... they want to take away are guitar hero, now who wants that???
Peter G 5th

Anonymous said...

I think raising minimum wage to benefit poor families was worth it. I think we can make a sacrifice like this, it's not like we are going to work at these minimum wage jobs for the rest of our lives.
Jordan L/5

Anonymous said...

i thought the minimum wage increase would be a good thing but seeing as teenagers are getting laid of, maybe its not. Many teens have to make thier own car payments and pay for gas and some even live on thier own. The increase was only designed to help families who need financial help, what about the teens who have responsibility too?

Rachel H. 5th

Anonymous said...

i say we go back to the good old days when people would work for 5 cents an hour....yeah thats the life!

Matt W 5th

Anonymous said...

raising the minimum wage doesnt help anybody.! the workers that the government is trying to help more even effected by the increase because more than likely they are already making 7 or 8 dollars. AND IM NOT WORKING FOR 5 CENTS.

Krystal W 2nd

Anonymous said...

I just realized, after reading this article, why I'm only receiving 12hours a week at United. I haven't requested off, and my availability isn't bad at all. But this week I worked Friday and for 6hours and then today for 6horus. Next week I just work thursday and friday for a total of 12hours. I hope I don't get fired because I'll need to start saving for a car.

Anonymous said...

the raise in minimum waqge isnt as great as it was cut out to be. that suchs that so many people are getting fired and hours cut

raelynn s 5th

Anonymous said...

I think that this raise in mimimum wage isn't going to help at all. Teens will loose their jobs and hours and that sucks especially if they need the money!!!

Amber p 1st

Anonymous said...

My job would someway find a way around minimum wage and I will still be making 5.50 and hour. Either way, it still sucks.
jessica C. 5th

Anonymous said...

Its sucks because i make more than minimum wage and after they raise it i'll make just as much as new people who don't know what their doing.
Jeff Hernandez 2nd