Good question. By world standards we are pacifist fans.
I read this blog on Freakonomics. Read it there and comment here.
Maybe you'll be inspired to beat someone up at the next home game. Just kidding!
13 comments:
Anonymous
said...
I think the fights at soccer games in other countries are caused because soocer is more than a sport to many of these fans. Here fans are very fickle and only like the team that is winning, but in other countries fans will do anything for there team. The ticket prices here keep many of the criminals or violent fans from going because they cannot afford them.
The answer is simple...beer. The US isn't even among the top ten alcohol consuming countries in the world The top 3 alcohol consuming countries are Portugal, Luxemburg, and France. So you're probably asking yourself "Where does the U.S. rank on the alcohol comsumption list?" We are in 32nd place! So in my own theory, because we are in 32nd place on the alcohol consumption list we should therefore be in 32nd place for having violent sports fans. I believe that if we with to have a greater ammount of sports violence we should first impliment more lienient alcohol laws and restrictions. Also, soccer is cool.
The only thing I can see in this that's related to economics is how the stadiums are barring out the fans. Isn't the whole reason to get money from the fans? I guess when they're killing people but still paying to get inside it actually matters. If that happened in America, the police wouldn't rest until they solved who killed the guy. Oh, and they would just delay the games, not just keep fans out.
I think that the peacefulness of our games has to do with the fact that our teams are typically regional, and almost all the teams that play one another are American. Meanwhile, most other countries play internationally. Thus, any tension between the countries already is heightened by the competitive atmosphere of the matches, whereas American teams cannot really have international conflict arise in the atmosphere of matches. For example, take the very violent soccer games between Honduras and El Salvador in 1969 that eventually led to an entire war. The already tense relationship between the two countries was made even more so by the competitive nature of the match until rioting broke out and, following El Salvador's loss, the probably mentally unstable Salvadoran dictator declared war on Honduras because of the conflict. If the same match had been between two American teams (unless perhaps it had taken place between a Northern team and a Southern team in 1861), it would not have sparked a war because there would have been no national differences to incite the conflict.
If I were at a soccer game, I'd probly start a fight of boredom.
On a slightly more serious note; At every sporting event I go to, at the end of the game, security people line up around the court/field/ect. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I don't much fancy a charge at a line of officers with billy clubs.
Marcus is lame, soccer is totally awesome, yet its quite ridiculous fighting over a sporting event no matter what sport. Everyone should go rent Green Street Hooligans if they want to know anything about Hooliganism.-josh r and period
In other courties soccer engendres a passion that is not only felt by its players but also felt by its fans. In the U.S. we think rowdy fans can be found at a Duke basketball game or maybe the Superbowl but fans here dont feel the same passion for any sport that fans in other countries feel for soccer. The Italians should just end the lockout on the fans and consider themselves lucky if they happen to have a few broken noses or black eyes. Outside of the states as long as there is soccer there will be fans. And as long as there are soccer fans in the world there will be fighting.
americans just aren't as passionate about sports as they are in other countries. most people just cheer for whichever team is winning or whoever is most popular at the time. and i completely agree with josh...go rent green street hooligans if you haven't seen it...that was the first thing i thought of when i saw the article
13 comments:
I think the fights at soccer games in other countries are caused because soocer is more than a sport to many of these fans. Here fans are very fickle and only like the team that is winning, but in other countries fans will do anything for there team. The ticket prices here keep many of the criminals or violent fans from going because they cannot afford them.
William Brooks-2nd
I knew I'd get a quick post from a soccer player.
soccer fights are cool
The answer is simple...beer. The US isn't even among the top ten alcohol consuming countries in the world The top 3 alcohol consuming countries are Portugal, Luxemburg, and France. So you're probably asking yourself "Where does the U.S. rank on the alcohol comsumption list?" We are in 32nd place! So in my own theory, because we are in 32nd place on the alcohol consumption list we should therefore be in 32nd place for having violent sports fans.
I believe that if we with to have a greater ammount of sports violence we should first impliment more lienient alcohol laws and restrictions. Also, soccer is cool.
^Justin H 5th Wrote that^
In those countries they have a national team, while here most people like their regional teams; and even then nobody's really that loyal.
Riley White 1st
The only thing I can see in this that's related to economics is how the stadiums are barring out the fans. Isn't the whole reason to get money from the fans? I guess when they're killing people but still paying to get inside it actually matters. If that happened in America, the police wouldn't rest until they solved who killed the guy. Oh, and they would just delay the games, not just keep fans out.
I think that the peacefulness of our games has to do with the fact that our teams are typically regional, and almost all the teams that play one another are American. Meanwhile, most other countries play internationally. Thus, any tension between the countries already is heightened by the competitive atmosphere of the matches, whereas American teams cannot really have international conflict arise in the atmosphere of matches. For example, take the very violent soccer games between Honduras and El Salvador in 1969 that eventually led to an entire war. The already tense relationship between the two countries was made even more so by the competitive nature of the match until rioting broke out and, following El Salvador's loss, the probably mentally unstable Salvadoran dictator declared war on Honduras because of the conflict. If the same match had been between two American teams (unless perhaps it had taken place between a Northern team and a Southern team in 1861), it would not have sparked a war because there would have been no national differences to incite the conflict.
Michael K 2nd Period
If I were at a soccer game, I'd probly start a fight of boredom.
On a slightly more serious note; At every sporting event I go to, at the end of the game, security people line up around the court/field/ect. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I don't much fancy a charge at a line of officers with billy clubs.
Marcus Blackwell pd5
Marcus is lame, soccer is totally awesome, yet its quite ridiculous fighting over a sporting event no matter what sport. Everyone should go rent Green Street Hooligans if they want to know anything about Hooliganism.-josh r and period
just kidding marcus...kind of... lol
In other courties soccer engendres a passion that is not only felt by its players but also felt by its fans. In the U.S. we think rowdy fans can be found at a Duke basketball game or maybe the Superbowl but fans here dont feel the same passion for any sport that fans in other countries feel for soccer. The Italians should just end the lockout on the fans and consider themselves lucky if they happen to have a few broken noses or black eyes. Outside of the states as long as there is soccer there will be fans. And as long as there are soccer fans in the world there will be fighting.
Brandon H. 5th Period
americans just aren't as passionate about sports as they are in other countries. most people just cheer for whichever team is winning or whoever is most popular at the time. and i completely agree with josh...go rent green street hooligans if you haven't seen it...that was the first thing i thought of when i saw the article
brittany p 1st
Post a Comment