Laura B. 5th I found this article interesting. I have to admit I found the subject rather disturbing though. I know people who have used these consultants and seen the results, but I am not so sure they would not see these results without the consultants. I'm not so sure it isn't a waste of money. I personally am against the practice because it seems to me the focus should not be on the "ultimate" goal of admission but rather upon the journey of getting to your senior year and applications. Another valid point when it comes to this business is what happens to the student once they get to college and no longer have the consultant there guiding every decision? Will they be able to handle the pressure? Money can only buy so much.
since I'm going to apply to UK universities I'm on my own here. Luckily Mrs. Dickson is trying to helping me although she's never done anything like this. Marta Gabler
I think it is smart to go the road to college alone and not with a consultant, it makes you a stronger person and prepares you more. Sure it saves money but it dosn't do anything for your grades.
Not only is this a pathetic way to penny and dime us based on one of our major fears: not getting into the college we want. It is also another way that society will be pushed apart between the rich and the poor and it does not help with the demand for more intelligent and motivated people. To pay a person more than what you will spend all 4 years in college is ridiculious when you can simply go to your english teacher for help with your essay FOR FREE, and your couselor for help with the addmission application FOR FREE. By the time you pay off the consultant, college, and loan intrest: you will probably be 60 years old and finally making a profit. I dont know about yall but I like to buy things and loans isnt one of them.
Justin N. 2nd Period I don't like this idea. Students shouldn't pay for a consultant to help them get into college, they should do this on thier own, so they save money and have a feeling of accomplishment that they got into their favorite college by themselves. If they don't get in, oh well there's always other colleges.
While a consultant would be beneficial to some students, not everybody needs one. Some students just need a helping hand getting started but once they get started, they're gone. However, relying on somebody to do your work for you, doesn't accomplish anything. It doesn't make you a stronger person and it definitely doesn't prepare you for college!!! I do believe that you should have somebody that will help you but that person could be a parent!!
A consultant is not always bad, but i think its better for you to figue things out on your own! you are not always going to have that person with you so why start relying on them for everything?...
I thought this article was very interesting. I like the idea of having a consultant, but only one who provides guidance and teaches you things you could not have otherwise found out; not a consultant who does everything for you. Plus, I don't think $40,000 for a consultant is very affordable. In fact, with that money, you could have already paid for several years at a small college.
jb m pd2 college consultants are not good for society because they create less of an opportunity for the poor to earn more wealth through brains and hard work. this would create a larger gap between the rich and poor if everyone started using one then many people would not be accepted because of hard work but because of how much their parents are willing or able to pay.
I think college is a time for students to get a small dose of the real world but to do that they have to have most things done on there own. have someone help would just delay your ablity to transfer into real life.
a consultant makes since if you are going to go to a competetitve school. some people say they are "paying their way into college", but the money doesn't go to the college, it goes to make their aplication. paying your way into college is your family making a donation to a school in November so the school will except you in December.
also the cost isn't all that much. a semester's tuition at Columbia is around $50,000 (dosen't include room and board and living expensess in NYC). that means that for less than a semester of tuition she will get you into a scholl where employers will hire you just because your degree says "Columbia".
I feel the same about consultants as I do about parents who pay for their childrens' college-it should not be done. Relying on someone this much at the age of "adulthood" signifies that these high school graduates are still babies. The only way that I feel that a person can grow up to their full potential is by being thrown COMPLETELY into the hell fires of the world. If you want to go to an Ivy League School, then work hard to get there on your own. If you get in, then you will be much more proud and if you do not gain admittance, then try for a second choice...after all, that wouldn't be the end of the world.
Having a consultant to get into college isn't necessarily a bad thing. College is a big step in life, and some people have a problem dealing with the stress that it brings. But, I don't really like the way she approaches the situation. She gave an example of spinning a kid's story to the point that it seemed like a lie. Stuff like that belongs in politics, not a college admissions letter.
i think college is when we get a taste of freedom in the real world and having someone else help you for it may at first be beneficial but could hold you back from getting the full experience
I think kids should get into the top schools because they're smart and dedicated, not because their rich parents hired someone to help them out. It's like those kids in elementary school that had their parents do their science projects for them...it's just not fair to the ones who really did the work. Lauren R. 5th
The ease with which Americans are separated from their money never ceases to amaze me. Mommies and daddies want to pave the way for little Billy, a "sure thing" promises to pay off big, and suddenly... oops our nation is billions of dollars in debt!
I think it is a great idea to have personal college consultant but the fact that people are abusing this service deeply bothers me. This kind of behavior gives the people with money an unfair advantage over those that work their tails off to get into their first choice school. people who rely on others to get admitted to an ivy league school don't deserve to be accepted when there are plenty of applicants that applied in a much more honest way, the people who use this service are usless wannabes that don't know what to do when they are faced with reality. I find it sickening that people would cheat their way into a college in the process
I personally think a consultant is a waste. College is the next step in life, you should be the one to achieve your goals instead of having someone else "help" you do it.
Wow. But I can't say that I'm too suprised. As 4-year undergraduates become more common, successful job applicants will distinguish themselves by graduating from universities with prestigious degrees and the higher quality eduation the schools offer. To a wealthy family that believes they can only maintain their life style with an "Ivy" education. The success of application coaches is no suprise. And in light of the high price of college itself, ($50,000 per year at George Washington University), the high price of coaches isn't too overwhelming. The priveledges, however, are exclusive to those of affluences. Rich students already have access to better education and this does nothing to shorten the gap. As for the morality- it is giving students ideas to enhance themselves on paper that are not entirely their own; but, what can be done to stop it?
I believe that a consultant could be helpful in some ways, but in the long run it is best to do it on your own so you understand how to make it in the real world.
The bottom line is, you can't use a consultant on every little obstacle in your life. I believe students that do these things on their own will most definately benefit in the long run.
Having a "coach" to help get you to look smart enough for a certain college is not smart on that persons behalf. If/when they get in to that college that is most likely too intelligent for them, they will fail and wish they had gone to a school that would take them without needing a consultant.
It's quite manipulative how these practices are being put forth. The students lack a prominent ability of Ivy League universities, an ability to seperate themselves from the rest. You cannot pay these consultants to go to school with you.
The conultants know how to play the game. They know what the universities want and they know how to get there. Why shouldn't they market their abilities? I know I would.
Some people are smart but don't always know what a college is looking for, so a coach could be helpful to them. They shouldn't rely on the coach for everything, but somethings it couldn't hurt. -The Wasiuta, 2nd Period
I think having a consultant is pretty ridiculous, yeah it may help you out in some aspects of life, but in the long run... you should just learn to do things on your own.
I think that having a consultant or "coach" will benefit some but in the end i think people need to learn how to do certain things with little or no help from others so that they will know how to mangage their lives in the long run...
Rebecca S. 5th I think it's crazy to pay that much just to get into a college. If you can't get in based on your own merits, then i don't think you have any business going at that school. After you graduate, I don't think that the college that you went to will make that much difference anyway.
Madison G. 5th As far as I'm concerned if you can't get into Harvard on your own you don't deserve to go there. What's going to happen when your consultant isn't there to proof-read your essays and plan out your course schedules? It's unfair to those students who have completed the college application process completely on their own.
33 comments:
Laura B. 5th
I found this article interesting. I have to admit I found the subject rather disturbing though. I know people who have used these consultants and seen the results, but I am not so sure they would not see these results without the consultants. I'm not so sure it isn't a waste of money. I personally am against the practice because it seems to me the focus should not be on the "ultimate" goal of admission but rather upon the journey of getting to your senior year and applications. Another valid point when it comes to this business is what happens to the student once they get to college and no longer have the consultant there guiding every decision? Will they be able to handle the pressure? Money can only buy so much.
since I'm going to apply to UK universities I'm on my own here. Luckily Mrs. Dickson is trying to helping me although she's never done anything like this.
Marta Gabler
I think it is smart to have a consultant, but it also means you have a crutch to lean on and money does not get good grades.
Kaley M. (5)
Whitmire B.
I think it is smart to go the road to college alone and not with a consultant, it makes you a stronger person and prepares you more. Sure it saves money but it dosn't do anything for your grades.
Not only is this a pathetic way to penny and dime us based on one of our major fears: not getting into the college we want. It is also another way that society will be pushed apart between the rich and the poor and it does not help with the demand for more intelligent and motivated people. To pay a person more than what you will spend all 4 years in college is ridiculious when you can simply go to your english teacher for help with your essay FOR FREE, and your couselor for help with the addmission application FOR FREE. By the time you pay off the consultant, college, and loan intrest: you will probably be 60 years old and finally making a profit. I dont know about yall but I like to buy things and loans isnt one of them.
Michael H. 1st period
Justin N. 2nd Period
I don't like this idea. Students shouldn't pay for a consultant to help them get into college, they should do this on thier own, so they save money and have a feeling of accomplishment that they got into their favorite college by themselves. If they don't get in, oh well there's always other colleges.
While a consultant would be beneficial to some students, not everybody needs one. Some students just need a helping hand getting started but once they get started, they're gone. However, relying on somebody to do your work for you, doesn't accomplish anything. It doesn't make you a stronger person and it definitely doesn't prepare you for college!!! I do believe that you should have somebody that will help you but that person could be a parent!!
Crystal R. 5th period
A consultant is not always bad, but i think its better for you to figue things out on your own!
you are not always going to have that person with you so why start relying on them for everything?...
emily howard, 5th period
I thought this article was very interesting. I like the idea of having a consultant, but only one who provides guidance and teaches you things you could not have otherwise found out; not a consultant who does everything for you. Plus, I don't think $40,000 for a consultant is very affordable. In fact, with that money, you could have already paid for several years at a small college.
Whitley C. -1st
jb m pd2
college consultants are not good for society because they create less of an opportunity for the poor to earn more wealth through brains and hard work. this would create a larger gap between the rich and poor if everyone started using one then many people would not be accepted because of hard work but because of how much their parents are willing or able to pay.
I think college is a time for students to get a small dose of the real world but to do that they have to have most things done on there own. have someone help would just delay your ablity to transfer into real life.
Matt Soto 5th
the idea of a consultant is appealing butnot everyone can afford one. they're basically a way to pay your way into college.
Mindy Orr 5th
tyler livermore -5
a consultant makes since if you are going to go to a competetitve school. some people say they are "paying their way into college", but the money doesn't go to the college, it goes to make their aplication. paying your way into college is your family making a donation to a school in November so the school will except you in December.
also the cost isn't all that much. a semester's tuition at Columbia is around $50,000 (dosen't include room and board and living expensess in NYC). that means that for less than a semester of tuition she will get you into a scholl where employers will hire you just because your degree says "Columbia".
Jennifer S-5th
I feel the same about consultants as I do about parents who pay for their childrens' college-it should not be done. Relying on someone this much at the age of "adulthood" signifies that these high school graduates are still babies. The only way that I feel that a person can grow up to their full potential is by being thrown COMPLETELY into the hell fires of the world. If you want to go to an Ivy League School, then work hard to get there on your own. If you get in, then you will be much more proud and if you do not gain admittance, then try for a second choice...after all, that wouldn't be the end of the world.
Thomas G 1st
Having a consultant to get into college isn't necessarily a bad thing. College is a big step in life, and some people have a problem dealing with the stress that it brings. But, I don't really like the way she approaches the situation. She gave an example of spinning a kid's story to the point that it seemed like a lie. Stuff like that belongs in politics, not a college admissions letter.
i think college is when we get a taste of freedom in the real world and having someone else help you for it may at first be beneficial but could hold you back from getting the full experience
Bethany Rumph - 2nd
I think kids should get into the top schools because they're smart and dedicated, not because their rich parents hired someone to help them out. It's like those kids in elementary school that had their parents do their science projects for them...it's just not fair to the ones who really did the work.
Lauren R. 5th
Betsy E.
The ease with which Americans are separated from their money never ceases to amaze me. Mommies and daddies want to pave the way for little Billy, a "sure thing" promises to pay off big, and suddenly... oops our nation is billions of dollars in debt!
Erin F. 1st
I think it is a great idea to have personal college consultant but the fact that people are abusing this service deeply bothers me. This kind of behavior gives the people with money an unfair advantage over those that work their tails off to get into their first choice school. people who rely on others to get admitted to an ivy league school don't deserve to be accepted when there are plenty of applicants that applied in a much more honest way, the people who use this service are usless wannabes that don't know what to do when they are faced with reality. I find it sickening that people would cheat their way into a college in the process
Jacob B. 1st
I personally think a consultant is a waste. College is the next step in life, you should be the one to achieve your goals instead of having someone else "help" you do it.
JR Norton 5th
Wow. But I can't say that I'm too suprised. As 4-year undergraduates become more common, successful job applicants will distinguish themselves by graduating from universities with prestigious degrees and the higher quality eduation the schools offer. To a wealthy family that believes they can only maintain their life style with an "Ivy" education. The success of application coaches is no suprise. And in light of the high price of college itself, ($50,000 per year at George Washington University), the high price of coaches isn't too overwhelming. The priveledges, however, are exclusive to those of affluences. Rich students already have access to better education and this does nothing to shorten the gap. As for the morality- it is giving students ideas to enhance themselves on paper that are not entirely their own; but, what can be done to stop it?
Clayton Patterson 2nd
I believe that a consultant could be helpful in some ways, but in the long run it is best to do it on your own so you understand how to make it in the real world.
The bottom line is, you can't use a consultant on every little obstacle in your life. I believe students that do these things on their own will most definately benefit in the long run.
Olivia M.
2nd
Ty P. 5th
Having a "coach" to help get you to look smart enough for a certain college is not smart on that persons behalf. If/when they get in to that college that is most likely too intelligent for them, they will fail and wish they had gone to a school that would take them without needing a consultant.
Matthew K. 1st
It's quite manipulative how these practices are being put forth. The students lack a prominent ability of Ivy League universities, an ability to seperate themselves from the rest. You cannot pay these consultants to go to school with you.
Taylor P. 1st
The conultants know how to play the game. They know what the universities want and they know how to get there. Why shouldn't they market their abilities? I know I would.
Some people are smart but don't always know what a college is looking for, so a coach could be helpful to them. They shouldn't rely on the coach for everything, but somethings it couldn't hurt.
-The Wasiuta, 2nd Period
I think having a consultant is pretty ridiculous, yeah it may help you out in some aspects of life, but in the long run... you should just learn to do things on your own.
Tarah 2nd period
I think that having a consultant or "coach" will benefit some but in the end i think people need to learn how to do certain things with little or no help from others so that they will know how to mangage their lives in the long run...
Carrie C. 5th period
Rebecca S. 5th
I think it's crazy to pay that much just to get into a college. If you can't get in based on your own merits, then i don't think you have any business going at that school. After you graduate, I don't think that the college that you went to will make that much difference anyway.
Madison G. 5th
As far as I'm concerned if you can't get into Harvard on your own you don't deserve to go there. What's going to happen when your consultant isn't there to proof-read your essays and plan out your course schedules? It's unfair to those students who have completed the college application process completely on their own.
Post a Comment