
This is my favorite columnist. He has also written several great books. He points out stupidity wherever it might lurk (whether Democrat or Republican). Check out his latest column.
Charge It to My Kids, by Thomas Friedman, Commentary, NY Times
Charge It to My Kids, by Thomas Friedman, Commentary, NY Times

30 comments:
JR N.
The older I get, the less respect I can retain for our political leaders. Wasn't the purpose of democracy to do what is best for a nation? Apparently, this goal is obsolete. Everything is partisan. Common sense has completely been forgotten. The minimum wage is increased to help the poor but the beneficial effects are negated by inflation and unemployment. Now people want to fight a war without having to feel the effects domestically. Politicians expect to pay for a war without increasing taxes so that they don't have to be the unpopular party who raised taxes. This doesn't make any sense. If our government can't be trusted to do what's best and right, what's their purpose?
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with JR. It's hard to say these days who really has our best interest at hand.
Olivia M. 2nd
Who should pay for the war on terrorism? Anyone and everyone that benefits from the U.S. presence in the Middle East. Whether they are for the war or against the war is beside the point. If an American enjoys freedom, then they should help shoulder the responsibilities to preserve that freedom.
Dalton F.(2nd)
Derek Doss-2nd
So how many of us actually know what it takes to wage war, run a country? Not just kids in economics, but people world wide? I think very few. It's pretty easy to sit back and criticize what someone else is trying to do without every being in the hotseat yourself. I dare to say there is not any one oponiated individual who comments on this blog that could run our country any better. Is the war right? I don't know. All I know is we are at war and we have elimnated a dangerous dictator who fired off biological weaons at his own people like it was the Fourth of July, sure let's let him run a country. For lack of a better term America needs to suck it up and deal with it instead of whining on blogs. No offense Mr McKay :)
I don't like that comment. I think we should beleive to be in the war altogether. Although American's do not support the war that much,I don't think that it is right to seperate everyone. I think American should stick together like a team.
Petra-5
i think the comment is true. when america was at war during WWI and WWII, americans supported the war witheverything they had. they recycled used goods, like rubber, to help contribute to the war. we dont do anything to help. so i agree with the comment that america isnt at war, we're at the mall (quiet literally).
Clare P. (2)
Hey Derek I also whine at the ballot box. I hope when you are 18 you will also.
Mr. McKay
i agree with dalton. every american that enjoys their "freedom" should carry some responsibility for it. people need to remember that freedom isn't free. the cost of it lies with the daily loss of soldiers lives.
Kristen E. (2nd)
Derek, you do know who gave Saddam the Biological weapons, don't you?
Obama '08! Obama '08! Up with socialized health care, down with socialized retirement!
I agree with the article. If our government has decided to be in war, then their other actions should reflect that, including what they do with the budget and taxes. The government should at least support its own decision.
Whitley C. -1st
I agree with Derek. Every day people complain about how badly the government is handling the war situation, but could any of them run the country or handle the war any better? People complain about Bush and how badly he is handling this situation, but there is not many people out there who could run the country any better. The war could be right, the war could be wrong, but regardless of whether the war is right or wrong, we need to stick together as a nation instead of one half for the war and one half against it. Our nation is at war, and we need to stick together.
Justin N. 2nd Period
Thomas G. 1st
Americans should pay for their defense. Keeping a standing army and protecting the borders of our country is an expensive task, and those who benefit from it (the citizens) should pay its cost. Although, I think after a while you have to ask whether such an expensive war is worth it, and whether the benefit we gain is worth the costs we pay. Is a somewhat organized Iraq THAT much of a benefit to us?
ok...
so why do people support a war but dont expect to pay anything for their decision?? We as Americans need to financially support what we have voted for.
emily h. 5th
ok...
so why do people support a war but dont expect to pay anything for their decision?? We as Americans need to financially support what we have voted for.
emily h. 5th
Ok, I'm going to use some "cost-benefit analysis. The cost is a slight incease in taxes...the benefit is freedom. Politicians should stop trying to just please the people. If taxes need to be raised to carry on the war that we have gotten ourselves in...raise them and make sure the country knows why.
Bo C.-1st
I do think Americans do need to be more willing to sacrifice for their country, and more supportive of their troops. The tax does seem like a logical way to pay for the war. I do think, however, that people should give the current government a bit of a break. Probably no one in the world is under as much pressure and scrutiny as they are.
Lauren R. 5th
This has already been beat into the ground, but its true. Americans should do something to help benefit the war. Why sit back and enjoy the free ride, when troops are getting killed daily?
Jacob B. 1st
I hate politics in general these days. Too much backstabbing, lying, and not getting much done. Too much like High School. I wonder what it felt like to be in a republic back in the day... probably not too much different, but whatever. Also, I still think it would be cheaper to use death row inmates to fight wars.
- The Wasiuta, 2nd period
Also, screw sticking together because the slim majority decided to go to war and the rest didn't. Just because most people are stupid doesn't mean the rest should act stupid to fit in and present a united front of stupidityedness. Support the troops? Always. The rest of the schlock? Not so much.
-The Wasiuta, again
ps- I hate Justin N. not for his views, but because he's Justin N.
I agree with John but I think that overall higher taxes will help in the long run seeing as how we're already there and we'll have to pay for it someday.
- Gina Palombit, 2nd Period
I apologize John, you are right, I am an idiot. I will never waver in my faith for you again. All hail The Wasiuta!
-Justin N., 2nd Period
Fun with anonymous...
Tiffany G. 1st
Part of the problem with people not carrying there weight is because they don't know how to. Not everyone can join the Marines or give a bunch of money to the war. I have no idea how to help the war and carry my weight?
i object to myself. higher taxes are insane, seeing as they are already realllly high. i think whoever looses the war should pay for it. either that or they should ask for contributions.
Gina Palombit (2)
I'm not honestly sure which side to take. I think there's truth in that we need the taxes, and that there's truth in that we could pay for it without the taxes. But frankly, I don't pay enough attention to what the polititions are saying these days to completely understand what they're saying enough to have an opinion.
Sarah Henderson-1st
i think that we we could pay for it without taxes yet at the same time we need them? i honestly feel like i don't know enough yet about all of that stuff to fully take a stand on one side
Bethany Rumph - 2nd
i think that we we could pay for it without taxes yet at the same time we need them? i honestly feel like i don't know enough yet about all of that stuff to fully take a stand on one side
Bethany Rumph - 2nd
Political leaders make the mistake of following popular opinion of the ignorant. If political leader did what was right and needed everything would flow smoother and in the right directions.
Matt S.
if people are at the mall, then why do they bother even caring (either way) about the war?
let the military win.
Post a Comment