
I think I told the class that the the "economic" thing to do is not always the right thing to do. If I didn't, I am now. The following story illustrates that truth.
As reported on Freakonomics.com
Hannah Montana is the hottest thing going. Her concerts are all sold out and scalpers are netting thousands of dollars for her tickets, according to media reports. What is an economist who wants to see a Hannah Montana show to do? Here is the true story of one such escapade. (The economist in question has asked me to keep his identity secret, out of fear that his reputation as a doting father will eclipse his economic accomplishments.)
His story starts just the way you might expect:
I had been working especially long hours recently. My family capital was running dangerously low. My oldest daughter Annika is a huge Hannah Montana fan. I figured it would be a good time to refill the tank and spend some quality time with Annika, so I announced gloriously in the morning that Annika and her papa were to see Hannah Montana that evening.
Our hero had not, however, mentioned to dear Annika that he didn’t actually have tickets to that night’s concert.
I quickly realized how out of touch with reality I am—the event was “sold out” and the ticket prices on various scalper sites were beyond reach for this academic’s salary. I concluded that I would take Annika to the local Wal-Mart and buy her a Hannah Montana CD and doll in lieu of the show.
This economist has raised far better children than I have, as you’ll see.
Annika raced in the house after school wondering when we would leave for the event and where we would be sitting. I shamefully broke the news that I had yet to find tickets. She took the news well, claiming that she really only knew half of the Montana songs anyway. Deep inside she yearned to go to the concert, but was not willing to admit that her papa let her down.
Shame is a powerful motivator.
After some reflection, I boldly announced that we would hold the course; Annika and I would leave at 5 p.m. for the show. I figured this would get us to the United Center by 6 p.m., with plenty of time to find a ticket scalper on site and get situated. After pilfering the family stash, I had enough cash in hand to pay up to $200 per seat, which I figured would gain us access to the restricted viewing seats (situated behind the stage).
If only it were this simple.
With heavy Chicago traffic, we arrived at the United Center just after 6:10 p.m. I wasn’t worried yet, as we still had 50 minutes to find tickets and get to our seats for the concert opening. For the first 15 minutes, we searched for tickets without much luck. No one was selling, and the euphoria around the stadium was beginning to get to Annika. Her eyes gleamed, and my willingness to pay shot up to $300 per seat…better find the closest cash machine!
Around 6:30 p.m., we came in contact with the first ticket scalper. He offered us some not-so-good, restricted view tickets, for $400 each. Glumly, Annika and I passed. I did not even have that much cash available. After haggling with a few other scalpers, the best offer I could find was $300 each for restricted view tickets. The price was too high.
The economist then does something so stupid and out-of-touch that only an economist would think to do it.
I decided to approach the United Center ticket box to inquire about available tickets.
Unfortunately for our hero, the show had been completely sold out for four months, and the woman behind the counter reminded him of that when he got to the front of the line. All the others in line had pre-ordered tickets and were collecting them at the will-call window. But as deluded as the economist was that he was going to be able to buy tickets at the box office minutes before the show, the strategy had an unintended benefit.
As I got into line, the ticket scalper who had stood firm at $300 for the restricted view tickets suddenly offered them for $275 each. “No thanks,” I said. Time was running out—6:45 and still no tickets. Annika told me to just buy the tickets for $275 each, but I told her to be patient.
Undeterred, the economist continued along the same path.
I approached a different ticket office. Once again my approach was interrupted by the ticket scalper who now offered the restricted view seats for $250 each. The official at the ticket box again refused my request, but I felt I was onto something. When I approached the ticket box, the ticket scalpers became anxious, trying hard to sell me their tickets. It dawned on me that the United Center must be releasing tickets slowly. Perhaps they had some tickets in hand that were still available.
There is obviously no way that there are any tickets left.
Out of the corner of my eye, I caught another ticket box, this one different from the others—it had a disabled sign placard clearly displayed. I approached the official at this window and asked if he had two tickets. “Yes,” he replied. “Two seats in the second row.” I was stunned. I openly wondered how this could be the case, and he informed me that they were just released to the public. I happily paid $66 per ticket.
Hurray! Against all odds, little Annika would get to see the concert from the second row. Oops, not so fast. This is an economist, after all.
I had gotten extremely lucky. Given the ticket prices I had been quoted by the scalpers, these two tickets were likely worth at least $1,000 apiece. If I acted quickly, I could sell them, and then go find the scalper with the two restricted view seats. His price might be down to $225, in which case I would net roughly $1,400 in profit, and Annika would still get to see the show.
Brilliant plan, except for one small detail:
I quickly explained my plan to Annika. We didn’t have time to dither. I strode off in search of buyers for our tickets. When I turned around to beckon Annika to follow me, I saw silent tears streaming down her face.
Torn between what he knew was the right thing to do (sell those tickets for as much as possible) and appease his daughter, the economist faced a tough choice. He knew he would be criticized later, but it had to be done.
I grabbed Annika’s hand and we headed for our seats. My colleagues would berate me at faculty lunch, but I would forgo this wonderful money-making opportunity and watch Hannah Montana from the second row.
The story ends happily:
Upon our arrival at the seats, one of the backup singers named Candace greeted us. Annika gave her a hug for good luck. As she left, Candace said that she would wave to Annika. Our seats were so close that Hannah even touched Annika’s outstretched hand at one point. Annika was kept busy singing and dancing the entire show. The smile never left her face. Remarkably, during the show, Candace even kept her promise. Her wave to Annika was heartfelt.

33 comments:
Not a chance! He could have pulled 15 hundred dollars off that and he let it slide? No way is Hannah $1500 worth of good. Even if the daughter cries a little bit you can spend a fraction of that money on shoes to make her happy and the rest on a big down payment for that new HDTV or something. Unforgivable.
Nathan Gregory, 1st.
Nate's crazy. I'm thankful, for his daughter's sake, that the father did what he did. Can money really buy happiness? (Evidently it can for children) But had the father traded their perfect seats for seats in the back, sacrificing his daughter's dream, just to make a personal profit, he would have regretted it later. Hopefully he got more joy out of seeing his daughter's happiness than he would've gotten from the money.
--Emily P. 2nd period
happiness and a smile from a child is worth more than any amount of money. This man showed his love for his daughter by sacrificing what he wanted for what she wanted. And Hannah Montana is the BEST! hahaha
Amanda Hendrix
5th period
So, you wrote this story?
First of all I want to say that Hannah Montana isn't as attractive as I have heard from countless sources. On the economic standpoint of the story, this father is as ignorant as his daughter.... Go get the money for the tickets and make a profit. In a month's notice your daughter will forget the concert and bribe you to spend your money on some new worthless fad/trend.
The comment above is from Mark S. 5th period.
Based purely on economics, the guy is a retard. However, if you look at it from the perspective of a loving father...oh wait, hes still a retard.
-Josh Wilson, 1st
i agree with emily. even if her father made a little bit of money, he would see how disapointed she was and regreted it later. Even though the tickets did cost him a lot, his daughter and him shared a memory that she will never forget. Rather than making a couple of bucks, i think the father made the right choice in choosing his daughter's happiness over a few more dollars in his wallet.
Emily W.
2nd period
I think he did the right thing... there is no greater joy than that of making one happy. It was alot of money, but that money could not have bought the memory that little girl will have for the rest of her life!
Matt B 5th
I think this shows how love and happiness is worth way more than money. Like we learned at the beginning of the year everything has a cost. If he would have sold those for $1000 and perhaps didn't find the other scalper he would have to live with his daughters constant reminder of how he messed up her chance for seeing Hannah Montana.
Renee 1st
Well for the economist he obviously had a tough price to pay by passing up his opportunity to cash it. However, he made the right move that inabled his daughter to be extremely happy. On the other hand, his colleagues probly will give him crap back in the office for his missed opportunity.
Tanner 1st
The smile on his daughters face and the joy in his daughters heart was worth far more then any amount of money he could have earned on those tickets. This father weighed his oppurtunity costs, making his daughter happy and making some money, and came to the conclusion that his daughters happiness priceless..
Taci Anderson
5th
You are all wrong.
I don't really know what the right decision was here. The amount of profit the guy would've made was huge, but at he same time he had his daughters hopes of seeing her in concert on him as well. For me i probably would've sold the tickets because the profit would have been really big.
Mike Uryasz-5th
I think when you really think about it...the guy made a horrible decsion. When you get right down to it, the guy lost a ridiculous amount of money JUST so his daughter could be closer to Hannah Montana. He didn't lose 1500 bucks so his daughter could just SEE the concert, he lost 1500 dollars so his daughter could be CLOSER. The girl should be grateful that they are there in the first place...and NOT making 1500 dollars just to be close to an icon which you'll find uncool in 2 years is a huge waste of money in my opinion
I think when you really think about it...the guy made a horrible decsion. When you get right down to it, the guy lost a ridiculous amount of money JUST so his daughter could be closer to Hannah Montana. He didn't lose 1500 bucks so his daughter could just SEE the concert, he lost 1500 dollars so his daughter could be CLOSER. The girl should be grateful that they are there in the first place...and NOT making 1500 dollars just to be close to an icon which you'll find uncool in 2 years is a huge waste of money in my opinion
Oops...forgot to put my name. My bad
Chris Woldstad
1st period
I think the guy had a tough decision to make and either way would've had somewhat negative outcomes. If he had sold the tickets for a lot of money he might've missed the opportunity of being able to buy the scalper's tickets, but by selling the tickets he could've made a huge profit and possibly still bought decent tickets. Both situations contain a lot of 'what ifs' and I think the guy made a good choice to keep his really good seats and make his daughter happy. Plus if he's an economist he'll find other ways to make money.
Katie Groneman, 5th
awww thats super sweet. i'm glad he choose with his heart not his head. however, i see how he lost a lot of money but as long as he did it for his daughter it's all worth it...right?
Elizabeth Custy 1st
I think that he made the right decision, because spending quality time with his daughter is definitely more important than making money.
Jessica Williams 1st
Well, scalping tickets is technically illegal so this economist did the right thing not by making his daughter happy and giving up the money but by obeying the law. Ironic coming from me. ha
Zak Harris 1st period
*hypocritical...it's hypocritical coming from you...
Obviously, the moral of this story is not to spoil our children and over expose them to popular culture. Next time don't bother bringing the kid so that "silent tears streaming down her face" don't come in between you and making a profit. Also, I will definitely be at the next concert in town to do some ticket scalping.
Haley Terry 5th period
Omg this is completley worthless, nobody likes hannah Mintana anyways. All i gotta say is that guy could of sold those tickets and inturn turn around and buy alot of backpacks with that money....that guys worthless
Gabe-2nd
aww thats sweet! i mean i know the economist/dad could have made a rather large profit... but what profit could be better than the happiness of your child? i think he did the right thing. like it says at the beginning, the economizing way is not always right. the point is not whether you like Hannah Montana or not, the point is your daughter does, and her happiness should be much more important than a profit. But hey, its only my opinion.
Julie Heinrich
5th period AP
I think the father made the right decision, but he shouldn't have lied to his daughter in the first place and then maybe he wouldn't have been in such a mess. That way he probably could have just bought her the Hannah Montana doll and kept a whole lot of cash in his pocket. Economically, he made a huge mistake, but let's face it, it every decision was based off of economics, would anyone have any morals at all? Probably not.
Kelsi Crane 5th period
Oh yeah
Come on
You get the limo out front
Hottest styles, every shoe, every color
Yeah, when you're famous it can be kinda fun
It's really you but no one ever discovers
In some ways you're just like all your friends
But on stage you're a star
You get the best of both worlds
Chill it out, take it slow
Then you rock out the show
You get the best of both worlds
Mix it all together (oh, yeah) and you know that it's the best of both worlds
The best of both worlds
You go to movie premiers (is that Orlando Bloom?)
Hear your songs on the radio
Livin' two lives is a little weird
But school's cool cuz nobody knows
Yeah you get to be a small town girl
But big time when you play your guitar
You get the best of both worlds
Chillin' out take it slow
Then you rock out the show
You get the best of both worlds
Mix it all together and you know that it's the best of both
You know the best of both worlds
Pictures and autographs
You get your face in all the magazines
The best parts that you get to be who ever you wanna be
Yeah best of both
You get the best of both
Come on best of both
Who would of thought that a girl like me
Would double as a superstar
You get the best of both worlds
Chillin' out, take it slow
Then you rock out the show
You get the best of both worlds
Mix it all together and you know that it's the best of both worlds
You get the best of both worlds
Without the shades and the hair
You can go anywhere
You get the best of both worlds
Mix it all together
Oh yeah
It's so much better cuz you know you've got the best of both worlds
Those are her lyrics!!!!
Yeah, I know. They're amazing!
Which tells us why that little girl really wanted to go to her concert.
Stephanie Helbert- 2nd
Well, from an economic standpoint, he made a mistake in terms of profit. On the other hand, he did not go to the concert to make a profit, he went there to spend up to 200 dollars a seat; therefore, he got very lucky to get 2nd row 66 dollat tickets. I would be proud of myself if i were him...or i would sell one of the tickets and send my daughter to the restricted seats and use the extra money to buy ice cream later and make everything better.
Carter Bowers 5th
I think the father made the right choice by not selling the good tickets to make a profit. Instead of having some money that will last them awhile, they will share a memory that will last forever between them!
Ryann White 1st period
Great, now this little girl is going to grow up thinking she can get anything she wants, at the expense of her parents, if she just cries enough. I wouldve taken the 1500 and invested it in her college fund.
sincerely,
Jake Farr 5th
I think that it was pure luck to get second row seats for a Hannah Montana show. I definitely think that the dad did the right thing instead of making a selfish and economically correct decision.
Emily Hemmings
The dad is stupid...i mean, i guess he's noble and kind-hearted, but stupid nonetheless...because if he knew anything about daughters at all he would know that he should have taken the money so he could buy a longer-lasting material that would keep her busy for a long long time therefore avoiding further expenses to worthless crap we like so much.
Clarisse Arsenal, 5th
In this situation, economics wasn't the best way. I mean those tickets are really hard to come by, and getting them at 66$ was great. Even though he could have made a small fortune off those tickets, his daughter would have resented him for ages. Better to appease a little girl than gain some extra spending money.
Elizabeth Abbott
5th period
i guess he would have had regrets both ways. In a few years, he could be short $1500 in college tuition that he could possibly have saved. oh well. i guess it temporarily made her happy.
Shane Kealy
2nd
Post a Comment