Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Oh crap! Is that poop on my lemon?


as reported on msnbc.com


It's fairly common for restaurant staffers to place a lemon slice on the rim of a beverage glass as a flavor enhancer or decorative garnish. But who knows whether these lemons have been handled using sanitary procedures? Anne LaGrange Loving, a professor of science at Passaic County Community College, decided to find out.

Loving began her investigation after she saw a waitress’ fingertips dip into her soda as the drink was being brought to her table. Although lemon juice is known to kill germs, Loving devised a study to determine whether lemon slices contain germs when they are served to customers.

Using sterile collection swabs, Loving took two samples from each of 76 lemons that were served in restaurants in North Jersey. Patrons normally start to drink a beverage moments after it is served, so samples were taken right away, before a sip was taken and before anyone at the table touched it. One swab was rubbed along the rind, while a second was rubbed along the pulp. The restaurants were unaware that she was doing this. Samples were then analyzed for microbes at a clinical microbiology laboratory.

A total of 25 different types of germs were found on 53 out of the 76 lemons that were sampled. Some are fecal in origin (either from dirty fingertips of the restaurant employees, or from meat-contaminated cutting boards and knives), while others are commonly found in saliva, on the skin and in the environment.

One sample had six different microorganisms on it, three of which are found in fecal material. Although some lemon slices had germs either only on the rind or only on the pulp, 29 percent had germs on both sites. In 15 instances the germs on the pulp were completely different from those on the rind, indicating that the pulp had been in contact with a contaminated surface as or after it was sliced. Sometimes when more than one lemon was sampled during a single restaurant visit, different germs were found on each.

Although there have been no reported outbreaks of illnesses attributed to lemon slices in beverages, every microorganism that was recovered has the potential to cause a variety of human infections. Establishment of an infection would depend upon the numbers and types of germs involved, the general health and age of the person and whether the person had chapped lips or a cold sore on the lips or gums.

People who love to have lemons with their drinks — especially those who are not in the best of health — might want to check out the sanitary practices of the restaurants they visit. At home, people can simply wash their lemons well with plenty of running water and soap to remove any protective wax that might have been added, then slice them using clean hands, a clean knife and a clean cutting board.

The study did not investigate other beverage garnishes such as olives, celery and limes. Alcoholic beverages were not tested. While alcohol is known to be antibacterial, studies would have to determine whether a beer, glass of wine, or mixed drink would contain sufficient alcohol to kill germs quickly. Previous studies have shown, for example, that the communion wine left in a chalice after all parishioners have taken a sip is loaded with bacteria.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

umm no more lemons for me.
ick.


Alicia 1st

Anonymous said...

Well thats really disgusting.I never thought about how many germs could be on them lemons..but aren't there like health inspectors that go to restraunts that make sure everything is clean?

Jori
2nd

Anonymous said...

i remember my sister telling me about this. When I order a drink at a restaurant, I never think that the garnish they put in it could be harmful. I guess i'll think twice next time i do.

Emily W.
2nd Period

Anonymous said...

wow that sux! i actually like eating the lemons/limes on my drink!! i wish i never would have read that. but at the same time im glad i did because i cant say that im gunna be all too excited to eat the fruit placed on my drink now!

tanner weil
1st

Anonymous said...

It is such a good thing i dont like lemons in my drinks! Wow. From working at a restaurant last semester, i never really stopped to think about what bacteria was on the lemons or anything for that matter. What an interseting study. Well, i think restaurants should crack down on employees to make sure sanitary procedures are followed. But then again, there's only so much you can prevent. Why dont we just let the public know, stop having lemons in your drinks! But then again, people would still want some, so thats just weird. But hey, its only my opinion.


Julie Heinrich
5th period AP

Anonymous said...

I do not think I would have ever thought of testing something such as lemons for germs. I think employees need to be more careful with how they handle food but whos going to make them? As long as no one gets terribly sick then I don't think too many people are going to make a big deal out of it but you never know with Americans these days...they get mad at anything and find anything to complain about. This article will probably make me think twice before asking for a lemon or lime in my water. All in all that's really gross!!

Amanda Hendrix
5th period

Anonymous said...

i hate fruit with a passion so when i order a water or a tea i always add... with no lemon, so i guess im safe from the germs but it's still kinda creepy to hear what is actually on the lemons cuz my friends are always squeezing them and putting them in thier drinks.. i guess they wont anymore after i tell them this lol

evan 5th period

Anonymous said...

I think that lemons are gross in drinks...but now I will definately never get one in my drink...eh! fecal matter...that's just disgusting!!!

Jasmine S. (5th)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I can't to go out to eat and order a poop lemon. Considering that I wasn't too fond of lemons before, this article probably will not affect me at all; I might even still get lemons and not worry. I mean, I still eat McDonald's after reading Fast Food Nation and watching SuperSize Me

Carter Bowers 5th

Anonymous said...

That was a disturbing article! I can't believe that lemons have so many germs on them. That just makes me think that if there are that many germs on lemons what else and how many germs are on other things at restaurants. Well I don't ever eat lemons or like them on my glass and I definitely don't after reading this article!

Katie Groneman, 5th

Anonymous said...

Well i work in a restaurant and we wash our lemons before cutting them. Also we wear gloves when we cut them... but some restaurants might be careless and i can see how that could happen.
On the other hand i dont like lemons on my drinks anyways.

Renee 1st

Anonymous said...

OMG! We should thank Anne for bringing to our attention this possible catastrophic food crisis. She has saved millions of lives. I believe that deserves a big pat on the back....what ever its backpack time....

Gabe 2nd

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that the lemon would be the least of your worries if they are getting contaminated fromt the kitchens...what about all the other food? I'd be willing to be that if we knew half the things that actually happened in restaurant kitchens we'd not stop at banning their lemons.

Morgan, 5th

Anonymous said...

when I go to a restaurants I order water with lemon and a straw, but you just changed my order. Actually, I think I'll bring my own glass and water too.

Taci, 5th

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure so much focus on something as simple as a lemon is overlooking the bigger picture. People think health inspectors are really tough on restaurants and when we see a bad rating we come up with as many excuses as possible to make these unhealthy habits okay. While I disagree with completely swearing off lemons in my drinks, I do think that studies like this should cause restaurants to be a little more strict with their employees, and the rest of us should either consider doing something to help the issue or quit complaining and don't order a lemon in your drink. I mean if you don't trust the restaurant with your lemon, you probably shouldn't trust them with the rest of your meal.

Anonymous said...

above comment - Haley Terry 5th

Anonymous said...

Wow. i wish i would've read this article before my family and i went out for all our three meals today...all of which i ordered water with lemon and iced tea with lemon...ewwwwww! and if the germs came from the tools in the kitchen of the restaurants that would mean that the pancakes, burger, and steak i had are contaminated too! DOUBLE EWWWWWW! guess i wont be too lazy to cook my own meals from now on...*shudder*

CLARISSE A. 5TH

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's that bad of a situation. I mean, you'll find some kind of germ on almost everything, but that doesn't mean it's going to give you some kind of terminal disease. The article even mentions that no catastrophic deaths have occured due to lemons. Oh well.

Shane Kealy
2nd period

Anonymous said...

Who cares eat it anyways, what you don't know wont hurt you.

taylor m. 2nd

Anonymous said...

wow thats disturbing and disgusting at the same time. Pretty sure that i will have no more lemons with my drinks.

Mike Uryasz-5th

Anonymous said...

I work at a restaraunt.....it can get pretty grody.....haha...but i always use the tongs for my lemons, im just awesome like that...........
Jake Farr
5th

Anonymous said...

I think that if i knew about all the unsanitary things that go on in resturants, I would never want to enter another one in my life. Id just rather not know...

Emily Hemmings
5th

Anonymous said...

I just want to say that I am glad that when they ask me if I want a lemon I say no. I hate studies like this because no good can come from it, there are germs on everything we come in contact with even, so why be concerned with with 53 of the billions of germs out there. It admittedly is kinda disgusting but a lot of things are disgusting.

DJ Guthrie
5th

Anonymous said...

This is a pretty interesting study, but i dont exactly think that the germs on the lemons are the most dangerous and magnanimous hazards that accompany eating out. Tons of other potential bacteria carrying items are around, many of which you have much more contact with that the lemon, which many people simply remove and disregard anyway.

-josh wilson, 1st

Anonymous said...

Intresting...but what does this have to do with economics or the economy? Just a thought. I'm pretty anyone with half a brain knew this slash suspected this already. I mean you can't expect every place to be surgically sterile, i'm sure if you did the same study on served food you'd find the same or even worse results. I personally take the lemons out of my tea...


~Chris Woldstad
1st period

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure this article makes me think twice about putting a lemon in my water. But, I don't think there is any way we can completely avoid all germs. I don't even think it is healthy for us not to encounter germs, for the body fights them and builds up its immunity. These germs may in some backwards way keep us healthier.

Emily Privett, 2nd period

Anonymous said...

This article is a real eye opener, if you think about it, you never know what else may be contaminated. It just makes you think.

Jessica Williams, 1st period

Anonymous said...

Lemons is not the first thing that would come to mind when i think about something being contaminated. I would normally think of meat. It just puts into prospective that everything has a chance of being contaminated.

Ryann White, 1st period

Jared Alderson said...

It really makes you wonder what cooks in the back put stuff like lemons on to cut and serve them. All I can say is that I am glad i don't get lemons.

Jared Alderson, 6th period.