Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Now I know why you guys don't do the homework.


Researchers see harm in narcissist collegians

By DAVID CRARY
Associated Press

NEW YORK - Today's college students are more narcissistic and self-centered than their predecessors, according to a study by five psychologists who worry that the trend could be harmful to American society.

"We need to stop endlessly repeating 'You're special' and having children repeat that back," said the study's lead author, professor Jean Twenge, of San Diego State University. "Kids are self-centered enough already."

Twenge and her colleagues, in findings to be presented at a workshop today in San Diego on the generation gap, examined the responses of 16,475 college students nationwide who completed an evaluation called the Narcissistic Personality Inventory between 1982 and 2006.

The standardized inventory, known as the NPI, asks for responses to such statements as "If I ruled the world, it would be a better place," "I think I am a special person" and "I can live my life any way I want to."

The researchers describe their study as the largest ever of its type and say students' NPI scores have risen steadily since the test was introduced in 1982. By 2006, they said, two-thirds of the students had above-average scores, 30 percent more than in 1982.

Narcissism can have benefits, said study co-author W. Keith Campbell of the University of Georgia, suggesting it could be useful in meeting new people "or auditioning on 'American Idol.'"

"Unfortunately, narcissism can also have very negative consequences for society, including the breakdown of close relationships with others," he said.

The study asserts that narcissists "are more likely to have romantic relationships that are short-lived, at risk for infidelity, lack emotional warmth, and to exhibit game-playing, dishonesty, and over-controlling and violent behaviors."

Twenge, the author of "Generation Me: Why Today's Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled - and More Miserable Than Ever Before," said narcissists tend to lack empathy, react aggressively to criticism and favor self-promotion over helping others.

The researchers traced the phenomenon back to what they called the "self-esteem movement" that emerged in the 1980s, asserting that the effort to build self-confidence had gone too far.

As an example, Twenge cited a song commonly sung to the tune of "Frere Jacques" in preschool: "I am special, I am special. Look at me."

"Current technology fuels the increase in narcissism," Twenge said. "By its very name, My-Space encourages attention-seeking, as does YouTube."

Some analysts have commended today's young people for increased commitment to volunteer work.

But Twenge viewed even this phenomenon skeptically, noting that many high schools require community service and that many youths feel pressure to list such endeavors on college applications.

Campbell said the narcissism upsurge seemed so pronounced that he was unsure if there were obvious remedies.

"Permissiveness seems to be a component," he said.

"A potential antidote would be more authoritative parenting. Less indulgence might be called for."

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I see where this article is coming from. I have never heard and/or sung the song "I am special, I am special, Look at me"...but it definitely sounds like a theme song for narcissism.

Amy W. (5)

Anonymous said...

Well, I am going to say this - I don't think that being confident in your self is a sign of narcissism. I also think that more authoritative parenting wouldn't hurt anything either. Any amount of discipline would not stop someone from having self-confidence unless it was abuse, so I don't see what authoritative parenting has to do with narcissism. I guess that these guys are paid alot of money to take meaningful surveys, but I really don't see the point in this one.

Thomas Dunnam - 2nd

Anonymous said...

Humm... after reading this I do believe Twenge is correct in narcissism taking over but I don't think it is too prevailent in me. Sure I do expect my family to help me pay for college some, but I don't expect them to pay it all. Sure my family has helped me get a car, but I don't drive a Mercades. Yes, I do expect some things, but overall I'm not all about attention seeking on American Idol. Also on the volunteer effort. I do feel pressured to do that somewhat, but I can honestly say that no matter what I would volunteer. I volunteer some weekends at a girl scout camp for brownies and juniors, and I love every minute of it. The pressure of volunteering has honestly made me find something that I have a passion for.

Anonymous said...

Whoops! the long one just posted was from MelanieK02

Anonymous said...

What's worse... being extremely postive about yourself to the extreme of narcisism or being extremely negative toward others to make yourself feel better?

Anonymous said...

I hate to be the eternal pessimist, but once again, I think this study is a giant waste of time. Would the world be a better place if I ran it? I hope so. I'd get rid of Hillary Clinton- that would help everybody, but thats for another time and place (or another blog). Anyhow, I digress as usual. Thinking that I'm a special person does NOT make me selfish, emotionally cold, or any other of the stupid "side-effects" mentioned from this self esteem movement. Maybe these psychologists should do something useful, like change their field and find a cure for cancer.

Love, Marcus Blackwell pd 5

Anonymous said...

I think it has more to do with the shrinking size of the average family. I've never met an only child that I wouldn't consider narcissistic. With fewer siblings per child, each child receives more attention from their parents making them feel "special" and whatnot. That probably has something to do with this "upsurge" in a generation shortly after the baby boomers, who probably had a few times the number of siblings that most children today have. Think of this like the business cycle: the older generation was the trough of the recession in narcissism while we are simply the recovery stage. Thus, it looks like we are extremely narcissistic relative to the older generation, but we are actually just coming out of a narcissism recession, if you will. I seriously doubt that some preschool song (which I had never heard of either) has made our generation the most narcissistic ever. I am quite sure we are just part of a natural cycle of narcissism that is recovering from the trough of the baby boomers.

Michael K. 2

Anonymous said...

i agree with all the people who said that being self confident does not make you narcissistic. I think your narcissistic when you only think of yourself and love every little thing about yourself. I never sang that "i am special song" either. I think they made it up.

p.s.Its stupid to draw the conclusion that narcissisism is what makes people try out for American Idol... take William Hung for example...

Rachel H 5th

Anonymous said...

I think its because people baby their kids too much. I'm not trying to support parental abuse, but in a society were spanking is looked down on what else is there to do then to pamper kids into doing what you want. For example I was at the store yesterday and a little kid was throwing a fit because he wanted a toy. So the mom lets him get one and then he litterally sat on the floor screaming for a second toy the paniced mother caved again. I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't have gotten the first toy let alone the second. Also I can think of getting spankings for a lot less then screaming on the floor makeing a scene. I wouldn't have done that i knew i get in trouble. Secondly society is constantly looking out for the looser. Like the little league teams that no longer have a winner or a looser. Well those kids who loose won't understand defeat so what else is left than for them to assume that no matter what they do they win. Parents are just trying to baby the reality out of life and the effects are shown in the study.

Jeff Hernandez 2nd

Anonymous said...

well i dont know, but has anyone ever said their special, and someone say back, "ya, special ed"? the other day i was at work and i witnessed a temper tantrum from a little girl, it was quite funny, the momm took her and they sat in the parking lot half an hour, no joke. anyway i never would have related this to the buisness cycle like some people, by that i mean michael. good job. what is narcasism anyway?

raelynn s 5

Anonymous said...

dont really understand why there is a picture of a barbie on this topic.

Justin Havins 5th

Anonymous said...

Barbies promote self-confidence and oppose all reasonable discipline.

Anonymous said...

By the way, Mr. Mckay - The Big Lebowski sucked.

Anonymous said...

Raelynn, narcissism is the love of oneself derived from some Greek myth. As for being self-centered because of poor parenting, I scoff at the notion. I've yet to meet an overly narcissistic person (though I have met some very narcissistic people, especially at All-state).
Kim I 5th

Anonymous said...

i think professor Twenge had to much time on her hands. Narcissistic people make me sick; i've never really known one but whatev. Yeah... Lost was pretty good this week Mr. McKay. C u 2morrow.

ethan h. 5th

Anonymous said...

I think a minority of Amercans are self-centerd because we have this idea in or heads that we are a free country and have more oppurtunities. But there is a difference with being self-centered and being self-confident. Yeh singing a song quoting "I'm special, look at me" is definantely not the way to go.
Jordan L/5

Anonymous said...

I don't think that being an only child has anything to do with being narcissistic. There could be an agruement for made for that on a personal level, i guess, if you personally know a narcissistic only child but as an only child (a non-narcissistic one I might add) I must refute the claim that narcissism has anything to do with my parents' shortcomings of not providing me with a sister or brother. If anything only children are more self-confident. Self-confidence does not equal narcissism.

Brandon H.
5th

Anonymous said...

I can't top any of these comments.
- Krystal W 2nd

Anonymous said...

i think there is definitly a huge difference in self confidence and being narcissistic. being a confidident person doesnt make you a narcissitic.

Whitney A- 5th

Anonymous said...

i think there is definitly a huge difference in self confidence and being narcissistic. being a confidident person doesnt make you a narcissitic.

Whitney A- 5th

Anonymous said...

I don't think that some one being confident in themself is a sign of narcissism. Narcissism is where you love or like every little thing that you see and excessive love or admiration of oneself.

TiffanyJ 1st

Anonymous said...

Im pretty sure this professor lady has no idea what she is talkin about because I am special. I think she ate alot of paint chips as a child or something.

Jeff G /5th

Anonymous said...

i dont think this lady is very smart. self confidence is alot diffrent than narcissism.

nathan o. (1)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nathan, this lady must be on something


Jeremy G (5th period)

Anonymous said...

Is she crazy? Self confidence doesn't make you narcissistic, it makes you motivated and confident in ones ability. Deffinatly going to have to agree with the majority by saying this is an dumb theory.

Sterling Swack (2nd)

Anonymous said...

I do agree that much of today's youth may be a little self-centered, but not to the point of narcisism. Many of us possess confidence in parts of ourselves, as well as insecurities. We all have our highs and lows. Some of us have longer confident boosts than others which may be a result of poor parenting or result in occasional relationship problems but i do not feel it is a problem that must be cured for the sake of society.
Naomi G.(5th Period)

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to lie I am not very self centered nor narcissistic, and I could be very narcissistic because I'm totally hot. I think this theory along with many others apply to only a minority of the population. Individuality does not lead to self-centeredness, maybe a heightened or false sense of pride that is gained through it, but definitely not telling a young child that he or she is special.

This article explains a lot in reguards to the fact that older generations have no faith in ours, if articles like this keeps getting published, its going to end up as a
self-fulfilling prophecy, it's ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

I definitely think that parents need to take a more authoritative roll in thier childerns lives. Many parents want thier childern to be popular and to feel superior to others around them. To achieve this parents praise thier childern exuberantly. They also allow for behavior that I was taught was unacceptable as a child- but with the allowance of this behavior the lines are beginning to get gray and morals are getting confused. Caitlan G. -5th