Monday, April 16, 2007

Unintended consequences?


Do you think there would have been fewer casualties at VT if this bill had passed? Prepare to hear all those on the left and the right debate this issue.

People have seriously pushed to arm public school teachers. How would you feel if I were armed?

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that crime on college campus' would go up not deter if it was legal to cary concealed weapons and it would not have gaurenteed that the causulties would have been lower at VT.
Peter Gordon 5th

Anonymous said...

The shooter was very angry. He had methodically planned to shoot those people. I dont think that the casualties would have been lower because he wanted them dead. He would have found some way to kill them.
Caitlan G. -5th

Anonymous said...

there was a teacher at VT that went to his car to get his gun, depsite university policy.

Anonymous said...

The shooting at Virginia Tech was horrible and maybe if students and teachers were able to carry guns some lives might have been saved. However, we will never know and the ban on the guns might save peoples lives because students would not be able to have their guns so close.

William Brooks-2nd

Anonymous said...

Maybe I misread your comment Will but I think you argued for both sides??? My stance is: Ya lets give everybody on every campus in the United States a gun that way all the classrooms will be safe. Perhaps Stigler's cynical nature is rubbing off on me but I highly doubt letting everyone carry a gun would save lives. Maybe huge incidences like that of VT could be stopped by another student shooter but there would also be more isolated smaller instances of shootings taking place throughout the country because of the abundance of guns.

Brandon Hardaway 5th

Anonymous said...

I dont think everyone being allowed to have a gun on campus is such a good idea. I dont know if it would neccessarily stop shootings and other crimes on any campus.

Whitney A 5th

Anonymous said...

No one on campus should be allowed to have a gun. It would only cause fear and violence which is the last thing these hokies need. Something else should be done like hiring more security.

Jeremy Green 5th period

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is any gun law that could completely stop these kind of shootings. It's obvious that the gunman in both the VT and columbine killings had a detailed plan and prepared long in advance. Since most criminals have a way of getting illegal items, there's no doubt in my mind that a determined gunman could get a gun if they wanted to.

Amy W. (5)

Anonymous said...

i dont think that it would make it any worse or any better. if people want to shoot someone they can... they will pay the consequences for it later but they could shoot them if they wanted to. i dont think any law could really fix it. if you really wanted someone gone then you swould find a way to get a gun and shoot them. end of story. so i dont think ne gun law could fix this...ever!

Logan F. 2nd

Anonymous said...

i think teachers should have a gun or somthing in the class room to help defend themselves from somthing like VT from happening again.

nathan o.(1)

Anonymous said...

Mr. Mckay should deffinatly have an AK47, two 20 guages, and 4 grenades. That would sure make me feel safe, and make me feel like the violence is coming to a closure... pause... not! Maybe teachers should have some pepper spray at most... but i cant imagine some of my teachers being armed. Mr. Heizzer with a gun? yea right!

Sterling (2nd)

Anonymous said...

i think it might help.
im sure if a teacher coulda gotten just one shot off maybe things woulda been different.
campus security usually isn't of much help
but i dont know.
justin r. (1)

Anonymous said...

I think letting everyone have guns would raise the level of violence...but I would be extremely scared if Mrs. Kingston carried a gun with her...because Justin Havins would probably be dead by now.

Jeff G--5th

Anonymous said...

i dont think letting teachers and students carry guns would solve any violence problems it would only cause more fear of another attack.

Rachel H. (5th)

Anonymous said...

I think this is a great idea. If you can't beat them join them. We can't control guns so lets just give everyone an AK47. At that lets make murder legal to so no one has to hesitate to kill the gunman. This has to one of the worst ideas ever.

Jeff Hernandez 2nd

Anonymous said...

i think teachers should get tasers

Anonymous said...

It just seems like it would be pretty nuts if teachers carried guns. I think that if someone is crazy enough to shoot 30 people, they will find a weapon. And i think that we should let the proper authorities use guns to stop them. A better solution would be for teachers to carry tazers or pepper spray.

kinzie j. 5th

Anonymous said...

I really do not see it necessary for teachers to carry guns while teaching, but maybe some form of weapon would be helpful. As others have stated, pepper spray or even a taser gun. This would only really deem helpful during a student fight, it probably would not have altered the effects of the Virginia Tech incident much.
Naomi G. (5th Period)

Anonymous said...

if teachers carried guns i don't think i'd go to school. forget that, my obituary isn't gonna say cause of death, shot by teacher. forget that.

raelynn s (5)

Anonymous said...

Why arm a teacher they already have an arsonal of Staples, Pencils, and scissors. And I know for a fact that some of them carry pocket knives. but then again, so do the students.
Jessica C 5th Period