If I were in jail waiting for the death penalty I would probably investigate ways to avoid my death too. But I don't think their arguement will hold up considering the fact that all three men are in jail for killing people. This is just a lucky arguement that these guys fell upon. The only thing this lawsuit will effect is a lesson learned for government to get this injection prescribed by doctors. Jordan L/5th
....Yup you gotta have those drugs prescribed by a doctor. Because, who knows what could happen if they cause an allergic reaction of some sort? Then when we rise as zombies years from now, we'll have like, hives and rashes and general discomfort...Well, I guess not since they have since changed he mixture of drugs used, procedures, etc. But in all seriousness, this is just a desperate attempt to dodge the bullet er, the needle, in this case.
This men are just postponing the inevitable. I think it is ridiculous for these men to sue. If they are so worried about their rights, why were they not worried about the rights of the men they killed. It is hypocrisy for these men to sue based on their arguements and they should be given the death penalty with these drugs as soon as possible.
If I were those inmates I would do the same thing....making some wild argument to save yourself from death is as American as apple pie. If they have problems with injections I say we just take 'em out back and blow their heads off.
Well, well, well. Maybe not shotguns to the head; that's too messy. From looking from an economic point of view I'd say this is just wasting more money. Just let them sit in jail and rot. Like Mr. McKay said one day in class: "It takes more money to put a prisoner on death row than to just give him a life sentence in prison". Appealing and sueing just cost too much to the gov't. Bah, who really cares about that! We just want them to pay for their crimes right? Let them ride the lightning for all I care.
(that was an allusion to a metallica song if anyone got that)
These guys are really catching up on their reading. I believe an ultimatum has been reached. They pulled the cruel and unusual punishment trick out of the bag and are using it to their advantage. But why? These guys are already on Death Row. Their already going to die. Approved by the FDA or not, this three-drug cocktail is doing the job. So why delay the inevitable?
this is pretty rediculous. if I were on death row, I'd much rather go out by just falling asleep than have gas liquify my lungs or get my brain cooked. i think inmates should take the best they can get, which in this case is lethal injection. Plus their base argument is pretty futile. prisons could just get a doctor to prescibe each one these chemicals.
It's funny that they are so concerned about their own lives when society has already found them guilty of absolutely no regard for other's lives. Sarah Hobson 1st
It's funny that they are so concerned about their own lives when society has already found them guilty of absolutely no regard for other's lives. Sarah Hobson 1st
I think it's kind of rediculous for the men to be bringing this up to try to delay their sentence. Wether the drugs pass or not, the death penalty still stands in their future. I would just want to get it over with... Amy S - 2nd.
Constitutional or not, their going to die anyways so why bother trying to postpone the inevitable? And how could it be considered "Cruel and unusal punishment" when death already lies ahead for them? Lethal injection does not cause any suffering...in fact, its painless-wouldn't that be the best way to go anyways?
ok... well my opinion on this is yesthey are united states citizens, and many people believe that they have rights. but in my opinion they should not have a say so.. they commited a crime so horrible that they are sitting on death row. HELLO does no one see that some og our inmates locked up in jails get treated better than the citizens that are homeless on the street. They are just trying to prolong there life so they dont have to live out there sentence/ punishment. Once again i think to many of our tax dollars go to the idiots who think they have "rights" they should have any rights for they commited murder that is the death penality. and God Bless Texas for pursuing they death penalty!! Riley Trotter 1st
I think that the death penalty is one of the great traditions that make America what it is today. In my opinion, the only thing that would make it better would be if we didn't stick an inmate on death row for 30 years and then postpone his execution date another 10 weeks because of appeals. It needs to be justified, quick, plainless, and cheap. Therefore, getting angry because deadly drugs mixed for the sole purpose of killing someone are, in fact, deadly, is stupid, and any lawsuit of this sort should not even have a place in the American justice system. These inmates are angry at the system for sentencing them to death, but they feel no qualms about taking advantage of the system to fight what the system actually sentenced them to. Makes no sense.
Just because the men were found guilty doesn't mean they actually committed the crime. Just look at how many possibly wrongful executions there have been since 1977:
There's a great probability that they were guilty, but I don't see how they are stupid for trying every possible way to get out of the punishment, especially if they believe themselves to be innocent. If they truly are guilty, juries are still more hesitant to convict in murder trials because of the possibility of executing an innocent person and thus some true criminals walk free.
Furthermore, I think it's sad that so many Texans are so proud of the death penalty. "An eye for an eye" works, I suppose. But we're still killing others...only it's called "justice" when criminals are executed and "murder" when others are killed--both are usually caused by an urge to get revenge. At least with a life sentence, if another is found to be the actual killer, the inmate is still alive to live the rest of his life. And as Mr. McKay said, it is more costly to execute a criminal than give him a life sentence in jail, so why bother with the costlier, more controversial form of punishment anyway?
I know these guys dont want to die and all but they are going to die. What does it matter if a doctor is prescribing the drugs or not? Its not like they are getting these drugs to be healed or anything. But I give them credit for trying.
Not trying to be the person to argue with everyone, but I do believe these guys have a resonable reason to fight. It is true that they will eventually die, but wont we all. It basically all has to do with our own boundries that our founding fathers established. Saying executing prisoners may cause cruel and unusual punishment, which is prohibited under the Eighth Amendment. This could just be a gasp of last breath for inmates, yet still a reasonable argument.
I am definitely Pro Death Penalty. If that makes me some "heartless Texan" thats fine. I agree with what the death row inmates are saying, however the inmates must face the consequences for there action, doctor or no doctor they still need to be punished. - Krystal Walsh 2nd period
i'm not much for the death penalty myself but never in my argument against it will you here me criticize the lack of a doctor's prescription...it really doesn't make much sense to me.
i think that they should have a doctor prescribe the medications but these men should have been put to death a long time ago. If you look at their court dates and when they were found guilty then you will see that it was over 16 years ago that all of them were convicted. They keep pushing and pushing their death dates with appeals and it isnt getting them any where except further from their death date but all of their appeals have been rejected so they need to keep them from appealing and just execute them. Thank God for letting texas have the death penalty and not being afraid to use it! We dont let them stick around long engough to get an appeal out once ur found guilty and get the death penalty your a gonner real soon! but thats what i think you can agree or disagree with me i dont care thats how i feel btu i havent met a texan who doesnt agree with the death penalty. Logan F. 5th
That is pretty rediculous. If I had any say I would just laugh at the inmates and ask if they would rather have the chair. If you're really going to be put to death would you really care if it's safe?
I believe in the death penalty only if they deserve it. I think a preson committed of a crime for killing someone should be pentalized the same way what they did to someone else. But since you really can't do that, they should have a choice of either the chair or the injection eventhough the chair isnt possible anymore.
I do give these inmates credit for trying to fight but they are going to die either way. If they dont die through injection or the electric chair they will probably die in jail with a life sentence and i believe that wether it be through injection or a life sentence they deserve what they are being dealt. Franki G (5)
I think the inmates should just let it go. They're going to die no matter what. So why should it matter if it's safe or not. I guess they just want to make sure they die on the first try or something.
Man its amazing what an ANIMAL will do whenever its cornered with nowhere to run. All those ditch-diggers and coffin-fillers are doing is prolonging their Judgment Day. Honestly why are we listening to these outrageous claims. They are on death row for a reason, they took the live(s) of another and they deserve nothing but the same. I say don't give them an ear, give them their justice. Instead of spending money on the drugs we could just use a 13 cent lead bullet. I mean if they have a problem with lethal drugs then give them another option.
It is reasonable that the inmates want the injection to be approved by the FDA so the injection can be more consistent. But on the other hand, they are criminals and do deserve punishment and should know that they are going to die anyways.
Hmm and I think that the person above me calling the DR inmates "animals" should think twice before he says ANYTHING else. The fact that the inmates can file a suit from death row and it be heard is what separates the US from any other country in the world. Sure, they have made huge mistakes, but haven't we all? They are only receiving the consequences for their actions and they know it. Let them prolong it. wouldn't you? Derogatory speech only makes you look like a jerk. We are better people than they are, and we know it. If you have to call them names and put yourself on a pedestal to make yourself feel good then I'm sorry for you, but use discretion when you post. They are people just like you and me. I am pro-death penalty just like you but there is a certain level of sensitivity and maturity that goes along with the discussion of it.
I think that these prisoners deserve whatever they get. They do not deserve the right to decide if the way they are killed is humane because whoever they killed or injured did not have any say in what happened to them
I think these prisoners are just trying to get out of the death penalty, or at least postpone it. If I were about to die, I really wouldn't be concerned about who gave me the injection.
These people are just trying to use this court case to avoid their own death. Their view point would be more respectable if they had not been convicted of a crime punishable by death. I support lethal injection as a form of punishment for murder.
40 comments:
If I were in jail waiting for the death penalty I would probably investigate ways to avoid my death too. But I don't think their arguement will hold up considering the fact that all three men are in jail for killing people. This is just a lucky arguement that these guys fell upon. The only thing this lawsuit will effect is a lesson learned for government to get this injection prescribed by doctors.
Jordan L/5th
....Yup you gotta have those drugs prescribed by a doctor. Because, who knows what could happen if they cause an allergic reaction of some sort? Then when we rise as zombies years from now, we'll have like, hives and rashes and general discomfort...Well, I guess not since they have since changed he mixture of drugs used, procedures, etc. But in all seriousness, this is just a desperate attempt to dodge the bullet er, the needle, in this case.
^By Kim I. 5th
This men are just postponing the inevitable. I think it is ridiculous for these men to sue. If they are so worried about their rights, why were they not worried about the rights of the men they killed. It is hypocrisy for these men to sue based on their arguements and they should be given the death penalty with these drugs as soon as possible.
William Brooks/2
If I were those inmates I would do the same thing....making some wild argument to save yourself from death is as American as apple pie. If they have problems with injections I say we just take 'em out back and blow their heads off.
Matt W. 5th
I agree with Matt. Apple pie and shotguns!
Justin Havins 5th Period
wow boys thats a bit hash.....but for the most part i agree....
sarah leonard- 5th
haha oops *harsh*....
sarah-5th
Well, well, well. Maybe not shotguns to the head; that's too messy. From looking from an economic point of view I'd say this is just wasting more money. Just let them sit in jail and rot. Like Mr. McKay said one day in class: "It takes more money to put a prisoner on death row than to just give him a life sentence in prison". Appealing and sueing just cost too much to the gov't. Bah, who really cares about that! We just want them to pay for their crimes right? Let them ride the lightning for all I care.
(that was an allusion to a metallica song if anyone got that)
These guys are really catching up on their reading. I believe an ultimatum has been reached. They pulled the cruel and unusual punishment trick out of the bag and are using it to their advantage. But why? These guys are already on Death Row. Their already going to die. Approved by the FDA or not, this three-drug cocktail is doing the job. So why delay the inevitable?
Curtis Spivey/ 2nd period
this is pretty rediculous. if I were on death row, I'd much rather go out by just falling asleep than have gas liquify my lungs or get my brain cooked. i think inmates should take the best they can get, which in this case is lethal injection. Plus their base argument is pretty futile. prisons could just get a doctor to prescibe each one these chemicals.
justin r.(1st)
It's funny that they are so concerned about their own lives when society has already found them guilty of absolutely no regard for other's lives. Sarah Hobson 1st
It's funny that they are so concerned about their own lives when society has already found them guilty of absolutely no regard for other's lives. Sarah Hobson 1st
I think it's kind of rediculous for the men to be bringing this up to try to delay their sentence. Wether the drugs pass or not, the death penalty still stands in their future. I would just want to get it over with... Amy S - 2nd.
Constitutional or not, their going to die anyways so why bother trying to postpone the inevitable? And how could it be considered "Cruel and unusal punishment" when death already lies ahead for them? Lethal injection does not cause any suffering...in fact, its painless-wouldn't that be the best way to go anyways?
The comment above is from Brittany M. (1st)...forgot to put that :)
ok... well my opinion on this is yesthey are united states citizens, and many people believe that they have rights. but in my opinion they should not have a say so.. they commited a crime so horrible that they are sitting on death row. HELLO does no one see that some og our inmates locked up in jails get treated better than the citizens that are homeless on the street. They are just trying to prolong there life so they dont have to live out there sentence/ punishment. Once again i think to many of our tax dollars go to the idiots who think they have "rights" they should have any rights for they commited murder that is the death penality. and God Bless Texas for pursuing they death penalty!!
Riley Trotter 1st
I think that the death penalty is one of the great traditions that make America what it is today. In my opinion, the only thing that would make it better would be if we didn't stick an inmate on death row for 30 years and then postpone his execution date another 10 weeks because of appeals. It needs to be justified, quick, plainless, and cheap. Therefore, getting angry because deadly drugs mixed for the sole purpose of killing someone are, in fact, deadly, is stupid, and any lawsuit of this sort should not even have a place in the American justice system. These inmates are angry at the system for sentencing them to death, but they feel no qualms about taking advantage of the system to fight what the system actually sentenced them to. Makes no sense.
Thomas D. 5th
Just because the men were found guilty doesn't mean they actually committed the crime. Just look at how many possibly wrongful executions there have been since 1977:
Wrongful Executions
There's a great probability that they were guilty, but I don't see how they are stupid for trying every possible way to get out of the punishment, especially if they believe themselves to be innocent. If they truly are guilty, juries are still more hesitant to convict in murder trials because of the possibility of executing an innocent person and thus some true criminals walk free.
Furthermore, I think it's sad that so many Texans are so proud of the death penalty. "An eye for an eye" works, I suppose. But we're still killing others...only it's called "justice" when criminals are executed and "murder" when others are killed--both are usually caused by an urge to get revenge. At least with a life sentence, if another is found to be the actual killer, the inmate is still alive to live the rest of his life. And as Mr. McKay said, it is more costly to execute a criminal than give him a life sentence in jail, so why bother with the costlier, more controversial form of punishment anyway?
Michael K. 2nd
I don't understand why they're so concerned with delaying their sentence..sooner or later they're dying anyways.
Katie H 2nd
I know these guys dont want to die and all but they are going to die. What does it matter if a doctor is prescribing the drugs or not? Its not like they are getting these drugs to be healed or anything. But I give them credit for trying.
Adriana G 1st
Not trying to be the person to argue with everyone, but I do believe these guys have a resonable reason to fight. It is true that they will eventually die, but wont we all. It basically all has to do with our own boundries that our founding fathers established. Saying executing prisoners may cause cruel and unusual punishment, which is prohibited under the Eighth Amendment. This could just be a gasp of last breath for inmates, yet still a reasonable argument.
Sterling Swack - 2nd
I am definitely Pro Death Penalty. If that makes me some "heartless Texan" thats fine. I agree with what the death row inmates are saying, however the inmates must face the consequences for there action, doctor or no doctor they still need to be punished.
- Krystal Walsh 2nd period
i'm not much for the death penalty myself but never in my argument against it will you here me criticize the lack of a doctor's prescription...it really doesn't make much sense to me.
brittany p 1st
i think that they should have a doctor prescribe the medications but these men should have been put to death a long time ago. If you look at their court dates and when they were found guilty then you will see that it was over 16 years ago that all of them were convicted. They keep pushing and pushing their death dates with appeals and it isnt getting them any where except further from their death date but all of their appeals have been rejected so they need to keep them from appealing and just execute them. Thank God for letting texas have the death penalty and not being afraid to use it! We dont let them stick around long engough to get an appeal out once ur found guilty and get the death penalty your a gonner real soon! but thats what i think you can agree or disagree with me i dont care thats how i feel btu i havent met a texan who doesnt agree with the death penalty. Logan F. 5th
That is pretty rediculous. If I had any say I would just laugh at the inmates and ask if they would rather have the chair. If you're really going to be put to death would you really care if it's safe?
Hannah L 1st
I believe in the death penalty only if they deserve it. I think a preson committed of a crime for killing someone should be pentalized the same way what they did to someone else. But since you really can't do that, they should have a choice of either the chair or the injection eventhough the chair isnt possible anymore.
Tiffany J. 1st
I do give these inmates credit for trying to fight but they are going to die either way. If they dont die through injection or the electric chair they will probably die in jail with a life sentence and i believe that wether it be through injection or a life sentence they deserve what they are being dealt.
Franki G (5)
I think the inmates should just let it go. They're going to die no matter what. So why should it matter if it's safe or not. I guess they just want to make sure they die on the first try or something.
Nathan O. (1) said the one above this
Man its amazing what an ANIMAL will do whenever its cornered with nowhere to run. All those ditch-diggers and coffin-fillers are doing is prolonging their Judgment Day. Honestly why are we listening to these outrageous claims. They are on death row for a reason, they took the live(s) of another and they deserve nothing but the same. I say don't give them an ear, give them their justice. Instead of spending money on the drugs we could just use a 13 cent lead bullet. I mean if they have a problem with lethal drugs then give them another option.
Tyler C. (1) said the one above this
It is reasonable that the inmates want the injection to be approved by the FDA so the injection can be more consistent. But on the other hand, they are criminals and do deserve punishment and should know that they are going to die anyways.
Jeff G.-5th
ok... so let the fda approve it, hire a doctor to administer it and lets get on with it.
josh r 2nd
Hmm and I think that the person above me calling the DR inmates "animals" should think twice before he says ANYTHING else. The fact that the inmates can file a suit from death row and it be heard is what separates the US from any other country in the world. Sure, they have made huge mistakes, but haven't we all? They are only receiving the consequences for their actions and they know it. Let them prolong it. wouldn't you? Derogatory speech only makes you look like a jerk. We are better people than they are, and we know it. If you have to call them names and put yourself on a pedestal to make yourself feel good then I'm sorry for you, but use discretion when you post. They are people just like you and me. I am pro-death penalty just like you but there is a certain level of sensitivity and maturity that goes along with the discussion of it.
Josh r 2nd period
I think lethal injection is not cool
WOW ! thats too crazy ! I have to say that , thats is so mest up its horrible
Amber P. 1st.
I think that these prisoners deserve whatever they get. They do not deserve the right to decide if the way they are killed is humane because whoever they killed or injured did not have any say in what happened to them
Nathan Y. 5th period
I think these prisoners are just trying to get out of the death penalty, or at least postpone it. If I were about to die, I really wouldn't be concerned about who gave me the injection.
Landon M. 5th
These people are just trying to use this court case to avoid their own death. Their view point would be more respectable if they had not been convicted of a crime punishable by death. I support lethal injection as a form of punishment for murder.
Brandon H. (5th)
Post a Comment