Click on the image to see it better.
This Economix column addresses the relative cost of the war in Iraq. World War II cost about 30% of GDP, Korea 14%, Vietnam 9%, and Iraq? 1%. But what are some of the alternatives that could be done with that money? Remember, rational choices.


7 comments:
interesting
-SL 5th period
It's easy to through a lot of noble causes in front of an amount of money this large and make anything seem like a waste.
Jeff H. 1st
*Includes $120 billion in annual military expenses plus the future costs of veteran medical care and disability payments, the cost of rebuilding the military after the war, and the increased cost of oil as a result of the war.*
I'm curious to see how well they accounted for extraneous variables. While it is not a valid argument to say the war is not terribly costly, adding an increased cost of gas seems like a stretch to tag on to the war budget. I suppose Katrina and other events had no impact on the price of gas - I mean, can they really account for this with enough stastical significance to give it a number and throw into the growing pile of reasons to leave Iraq and let it burn itself out?
Marcus B. 5th
I have to agree with Marcus except for the Katrina bit...Umm many of the offshore drilling rigs in the Gulf were shut down as a result of her, whether they are up yet or not, I don't know.
But as for the war...correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't our Gov't spending come from a deficit. If I am right, then anyone could say a million things that could be done with our Government's money.
Everyone in Mr. Aten's class saw the 2004 congressional project/grant list...it was disgusting. I would rather see money going towards the rebuilding of a socially violated country versus the building of a multi-million dollar ski-lodge funded by our congress.
$200 billion annually and yet the deficit is still dropping.
wow.
KS
This budget reflects on how this country is preceived. The world, along with our own Americans, view our spending priorities and make judgements on our character as a whole. Though we claim to ignore the thoughts of surrounding countries, maintaining a stable reputation is neccessary for friendly and cooperative international relations.
Naomi G. (5th Period)
Post a Comment